Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics “I don't stop”: Javier Milei's first expression at the beginning of the CGT strike - Infobae

All the Answers

“I don't stop”: Javier Milei's first expression at the beginning of the CGT strike - Infobae​

1715269515363.png

Source:

May 09, 2024

The President used his social networks to question the union measure carried out by the labor union. He did it with a doctored photo

1715269596231.png
President Javier Milei today replied to a message of his that he had published last night criticizing the general strike of the CGT , the second carried out by the labor union in just 5 months of the new Government. The peculiarity is that he did it with a doctored photo.

I don't stop ,” reads the back of a blue T-shirt that the president is holding in a post published last night on Instagram and replicated this morning on his official X account.

The image, in fact, is the one that Milei took this week during his meeting with the president of FIFA, Gianni Infantino , during the meeting they had in the United States. The original jersey has the libertarian leader's name and the number 10.

Today the CGT carries out the second general strike since Javier Milei took office, in a context of strong union conflict. The labor union called for the measure last month, mainly against the Bases Law.

1715269629816.png
The image of Javier Milei with the shirt that Gianni Infantino gave him

In the AMBA, trains, subways and most bus lines do not operate from midnight. There are also no banks and the rest of the activities are affected either by the workers joining the strike or by the difficulties in reaching different places. Private schools, meanwhile, opened their doors, although many teachers did not go to work.

The Government, against unemployment​

Since yesterday, different officials spoke out against the CGT strike. In addition to Milei, the Minister of Security, Patricia Bullrich, had also used her social networks to question the measure. “Today let's not stop ,” she proposed through a statement that received the immediate support of the President.

“The student without the teacher loses his future. "The patient without the doctor can have serious consequences," he said, referring to the suspension of tasks by state workers, among whom were public school teachers and medical personnel who provide their services in hospitals and public health centers.

“The security forces do not stop because they know that your life is in danger,” confirmed the head of the security portfolio, pointing out that the police presence as well as the operation of the rest of the services were necessary to avoid putting citizens at risk. . For this reason, she called to reflect on the importance that each of these roles had to have a peaceful coexistence in society.

1715269681084.png

The statement that the minister published in X (X: @PatoBullrich)
The official also spoke early this Thursday at the door of her home, and minimized the impact of the strike: “I think the strike is not forceful, everything is going to be open. There are factories that are being blocked and they let us in to work, groups that harass them and hide in the street. The forcefulness comes from people who want to work,” she said.

This morning, meanwhile, the Minister of Economy, Luis Caputo, also expressed himself on social networks against the strike: “My solidarity with all the workers who cannot go to work today and will earn less at the end of the month, as a result of this strike. I feel that unionism is increasingly distant from reality . People have already opened their eyes and are clear that they can only get out of this disaster with effort and sacrifice, not by spending taxpayers' money or printing pesos so that they are worth less and less. Let us continue to trust, we are on the right path,” he stated.

The national government enabled telephone line 134 to report if a person is forced to stop this Thursday, May 9 . The Minister of National Security, Patricia Bullrich, spoke this Thursday on her social networks, warning that “Let's not let them break everything we are achieving. We are going to take care of everyone who goes to work. Call 134 and report.”

It is worth remembering that in the train stations blue posters were displayed at the top of the screens, highlighting the anti-demonstration campaign with anonymous complaints to line 134.

Likewise, presidential spokesperson Manuel Adorni confirmed yesterday that line 134 remains open to “report extortion . ” He also announced that those state employees who stop this May 9 due to the force measure called by the CGT, will have the day discounted .

Back