Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer 8 Day Trip - Where to go outside of Buenos Aires

Drjosh

I'm planning a vacation to Buenos Aires in October and intend to spend 4-5 days in the city and another 3-4 days in a different destination. While many recommendations point towards Iguazu Falls, I'm uncertain if it aligns with what I'm seeking. I'm worried that my only chance to explore outside Buenos Aires might involve dealing with crowds of tourists, staying in average hotels, and dining in bustling, average restaurants. As an alternative, I'm contemplating a trip to Mendoza, drawn by the allure of California Wine Country in the U.S.

Any insights, suggestions, or alternative recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mendoza is certainly the heart of Argentina's wine country. I am not sure if they have winery "tours" as such. I plan to spend a couple of days there this year during my annual 3 week visit to Argentina in January. I will be using Cordoba as my base for a week and I will go to Mendoza for a couple of days. As a consequence I am also looking for suggestions on where to stay, where to eat and what to do in Mendoza other than drink wine...a skill I have already mastered.

I share your sentiment about the falls becoming too touristy, which is unfortunate given its delightful charm.

Consider exploring the Iberá Marshes if you're inclined towards nature and wildlife. This off-the-beaten-path destination is gaining attention, particularly among European visitors. It offers a genuinely wild experience with good hostel options. Notably, a wealthy U.S. citizen has acquired vast acres to establish a reserve.

For a nature-filled adventure in the south of Argentina, the Andes Cordillera region, including Bariloche, Villa la Angostura, San Martin de los Andes, and Junin de los Andes, is captivating. However, it's best visited from late November to March, as it can be cold before and lacks snow for skiing.

In Junin de los Andes, there's an incredible estancia called TIPILIUKE, worth a visit if you're heading south. A minimum stay of 3-4 days is recommended.

Considering your limited timeframe of 8-9 days in Argentina, allocating 4-6 days for Buenos Aires seems fitting. While in the city, don't miss a day tour to the Delta Islands or an overnight stay, exploring estancias, and a day trip to Colonia in Uruguay—a quaint colonial village for a relaxed day. These three tours would ideally require a minimum of 3 full days.

For more information on Argentina, you can check out the following links:

I shared similar apprehensions before our July trip to the falls, but it turned out to be truly spectacular. We opted to stay at the Sheraton, located within the park grounds, making it convenient to start our trail adventures right from the hotel door. The views from the hotel were breathtaking, and there's a certain relaxation that comes with being immersed in the jungle, overlooking the falls. Ultimately, it depends on your preferences, but we found the trip to be a delightful contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Back