Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer A private place to relax... help!

Hero

I really need to get out of my apartment for a few hours to clear my head (my spouse and kids are home all day). I’m looking for a quiet spot where I can have some privacy, as I’m feeling overwhelmed and on the verge of breaking down . Cafés or restaurants won’t work. The only place I thought of was a telo, but that’s definitely not for me. Just need somewhere to decompress for a bit. Any ideas or suggestions? 🙏

Some people rent out rooms or small studios for just a few hours. You could find one nearby to take a break, without needing to resort to a telo for that. 😂 These places are quite common here, ranging from simple office spaces to rooms for courses or conferences. You should definitely check the hourly rates.

Some people rent out rooms or small studios for just a few hours. You could find one nearby to take a break, without needing to resort to a telo for that. 😂 These places are quite common here, ranging from simple office spaces to rooms for courses or conferences. You should definitely check the hourly rates.

This sounds like a good option. I know what you mean @Hero. Even if you don't have a wife/kids sometimes it is good to get out of your home. Back home in the States Hyatt used to have a special rate sometimes where you could just pay a fee and use a hotel room for the day. I would bet you could just contact a few Airbnb owners and see if someone would just rent for the day. If you're not sleeping there and just working it would be easy for them and you can see availability calendar. If someone didn't rent their place that day I am sure they wouldn't mind making a few extra dollars just letting you work for the day.

I find the cafes are way too crowded and loud now. Especially in Palermo Soho/Hollywood area. Seems like many expats just go to hang out even if they have their laptops it doesn't seem like they are really working. Co-working places are expensive now. Try the Airbnb option.

I really need to get out of my apartment for a few hours to clear my head (my spouse and kids are home all day). I’m looking for a quiet spot where I can have some privacy, as I’m feeling overwhelmed and on the verge of breaking down . Cafés or restaurants won’t work. The only place I thought of was a telo, but that’s definitely not for me. Just need somewhere to decompress for a bit. Any ideas or suggestions? 🙏
It doesn't sound like you are needing to work? Do you need to work? If not, a church sounds like a good idea. They are always open and you can just be in silence. Even in touristy places they will have some tourists go in from time to time but it's always quiet. I go into the church in Recoleta every time I am in the area and will just sit in silence sometimes. It's actually great.

I guess if you wanted to just sleep a telo isn't a bad option. I have never been in one and not sure how much they are. Does anyone know the rates now of a telo?

In reality, the albergue transitorio (commonly known as a "telo") is a place meant for couples, although there are no restrictions on going alone. While it’s not very common, you could go by yourself, but I think the prices are quite high. I believe @Ron’s suggestion is better since you can rent the space by the hour, and it’s usually not expensive. Here’s an example so you can see the current rates being offered, from an albergue in Palermo. The sessions typically last 1.5 to 2 hours.

1728413104094.jpeg

In reality, the albergue transitorio (commonly known as a "telo") is a place meant for couples, although there are no restrictions on going alone. While it’s not very common, you could go by yourself, but I think the prices are quite high. I believe @Ron’s suggestion is better since you can rent the space by the hour, and it’s usually not expensive. Here’s an example so you can see the current rates being offered, from an albergue in Palermo. The sessions typically last 1.5 to 2 hours.

View attachment 7678

Oh thanks. I thought prices were cheaper than that at telos but I guess with inflation they must be higher. Guess no place can escape inflation. When I moved here I think I recall friends telling me it was about $10 USD for a turno in a telo. Prices have gone up.

Oh thanks. I thought prices were cheaper than that at telos but I guess with inflation they must be higher. Guess no place can escape inflation. When I moved here I think I recall friends telling me it was about $10 USD for a turno in a telo. Prices have gone up.
I never heard of these types of places before. It's funny because my girlfriend's little brother has to go to these all the time. Many kids live at home until they are quite older so they have no privacy so telos are popular. I have never been to one but some of them look nice! I had no idea some of them were this nice.

I never heard of these types of places before. It's funny because my girlfriend's little brother has to go to these all the time. Many kids live at home until they are quite older so they have no privacy so telos are popular. I have never been to one but some of them look nice! I had no idea some of them were this nice.

Yes many live with their parents all through college and some even after. I had some lesbian friends that came down and stayed in my apartment and I didn't let them bring girls back to my apartment. They went to some and raved about them. Here are some listed here.

Yes! It's very common here, especially because it’s difficult for young people to become independent with the current economic crisis, so most of them live with their parents. These places are where they go with their girlfriends or for casual encounters after leaving a bar or club. They often continue the party with someone they’ve just met.😳

Yes! It's very common here, especially because it’s difficult for young people to become independent with the current economic crisis, so most of them live with their parents. These places are where they go with their girlfriends or for casual encounters after leaving a bar or club. They often continue the party with someone they’ve just met.😳
@Melibaires is there a list somewhere that lists all the telos? I tried visiting a link on @Betsy Ross URL but it's not working. Maybe it's not up anymore. Does anyone know of any websites that list all of these telos? I may want to check it out on my next trip to BA. They look cool.

@Melibaires is there a list somewhere that lists all the telos? I tried visiting a link on @Betsy Ross URL but it's not working. Maybe it's not up anymore. Does anyone know of any websites that list all of these telos? I may want to check it out on my next trip to BA. They look cool.
I saw this interesting article but it lists the same link https://alberguestransitorios.com/ and that doesn't seem to open or maybe it only works in Argentina.

Here’s a list of all the telos in Buenos Aires, classified by neighborhood, and they’re even rated.

Here’s a list of all the telos in Buenos Aires, classified by neighborhood, and they’re even rated.

You have to love this thread. Suggestions for a church and a telo! Never thought I'd see that in the same thread.

Back