Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports A trip report from an expedition to Antarctica!

TaylorCarlson

Currently, I'm on a year-long journey around the globe, and in February, I had the incredible opportunity to embark on a 10-day expedition to Antarctica! It was an extraordinary experience that I'm eager to share with you through some of my favorite snapshots and a little commentary.

Why did I decide to go?
My fascination with colder climates, sparked by a trip to Alaska a few years ago, planted the seed of Antarctica in my mind. Initially not part of my travel plans, circumstances—thanks to some delays due to Covid—enabled me to save more, making the idea of Antarctica more feasible. Since I was already planning to visit Ushuaia, the departure point for Antarctic expeditions, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

After weighing the pros and cons, contemplating if the expense was justifiable given the other destinations I could explore with the same budget, I eventually took advantage of a tempting deal that landed in my inbox one day.

It turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Who did I go with?
I arranged the trip through 'Freestyle Adventure Travel,' a local agency in Ushuaia, Argentina, specializing in affordable Antarctic fares.

I opted for a voyage organized by Intrepid, aboard the 'Ocean Endeavour.' This ten-day journey included a day each for departure and arrival, four days at sea, and four days on the continent itself. I believe this was the itinerary, though I'm not entirely certain.

The package covered a pre-trip hotel stay, all meals and non-alcoholic beverages, a warm jacket, and most outings except for kayaking.

The ship accommodated around 200 passengers, predominantly Americans and Australians, with ages ranging from approximately 10 to 75, averaging around 40.

What was life like on board?
This wasn't your typical cruise with lavish entertainment. Instead, the focus was on education and citizen science, featuring numerous lectures and programs throughout the day.

A restaurant served three meals daily, supplemented by a station offering unlimited cookies and hot beverages, as well as a bar.

Facilities included a library, shop, spa, sauna, and relaxation areas. Despite a capacity of up to 500 passengers, the ship accommodated only 200, offering ample space and some luxuries typically found on larger vessels.

The staterooms were comfortable; I shared a twin porthole room with a fellow traveler.

While resembling a standard cruise ship internally, it was on a smaller scale.

How was the journey through the Drake Passage?
Known for its rough waters between Argentina and the Antarctic Peninsula, the Drake Passage lived up to its reputation for causing seasickness.

The outbound voyage encountered moderate turbulence, ranking around a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. While noticeable, it could have been worse.

Remarkably, the return journey experienced minimal disturbance, rating around a 1 or 2 on the scale.

What was Antarctica like?
I could talk endlessly about this, but I'll keep it brief!

Days 1 & 2:
Spent crossing the Drake Passage, these days were primarily about preparation and anticipation. Despite the lack of significant activity, attending talks and observing seabirds like the Albatross made the time enjoyable.

Day 3:
Waking up after two days at sea, we found ourselves amidst pristine icy waters, surrounded by icebergs and snow-capped mountains—an awe-inspiring sight. Landing at Neko Harbour was surreal, with ice and snow enveloping the landscape, Gentoo Penguins bustling about, and a Humpback Whale in the harbor. It was a magical experience, surpassing even my wildest expectations.

Day 4:
Starting with a zodiac cruise at Civerville Island, we encountered numerous Gentoo Penguins and spotted our first seals, including a Weddell Seal and possibly a Leopard Seal. The serene blue skies and calm waters provided stunning reflections of icebergs and mountains, enhancing the outing's beauty. Later, a second zodiac cruise at Orne Harbour offered more breathtaking scenery and a glimpse of a Chinstrap Penguin colony. The evening featured a barbecue dinner on the outer decks, a delightful experience complemented by Frozen Margaritas.

Day 5:
Arriving at Charlotte Bay, we embarked on another zodiac cruise, highlighted by sightings of Crabeater Seals and Humpback Whales. Meeting the expedition team, who distributed hot chocolate while driving zodiacs dressed as penguins, added a fun twist to the day. We even had the chance to step onto Antarctic sea ice for a brief walk. Despite being on the kayaking waitlist, I seized the opportunity to kayak around icebergs and sea ice, encountering penguins swimming alongside—a quintessential Antarctic moment.

Day 6:
Having transitioned to the South Shetland Islands overnight, we aimed for two landings, but adverse weather conditions limited us to one at Whalers Bay on Deception Island. Despite the challenges, exploring historical sites amid harsh weather provided a unique perspective. Later, a scenic cruise around Half Moon

Island and a group photo at Edinburgh Hill marked the final leg of our Antarctic journey.

Days 7 & 8:
Spent crossing the Drake Passage again, these days offered time for relaxation and camaraderie before bidding farewell to newfound friends.

What did I see and where did I go?
The itinerary varied based on weather and other factors, but sightings included an abundance of wildlife. While whale sightings were limited to Humpbacks due to the early season, encounters with penguins and seals were plentiful.

My overall impression?
Antarctica left an indelible mark, ranking as the most incredible place I've ever visited, a sentiment echoed by many seasoned travelers aboard. Its pristine beauty, coupled with abundant wildlife, creates a truly unparalleled experience. Amidst a year-long journey across the globe, Antarctica stands out as the ultimate highlight.

As a solo traveler?
Navigating Antarctica solo was seamless, with ample opportunities to connect with fellow adventurers. Shared accommodation and a social atmosphere made forging friendships effortless.

Advice for aspiring travelers?
While Antarctica is a costly and physically demanding destination, the experience is unparalleled for those with a genuine sense of adventure. However, ethical considerations regarding environmental impact should be weighed carefully.

Logistics and costs?
Booking through local agencies like Freestyle Adventure Travel can yield affordable options, though last-minute deals require flexibility. Additional expenses, including flights, optional activities, and onboard purchases, should be factored into the budget, with a minimum estimate of $4000 excluding flights.

Final thoughts?
Antarctica is a once-in-a-lifetime journey that transcends words, offering an unparalleled adventure for those willing to embrace its challenges and wonders alike.

The trip sounds amazing, and I'm glad to hear there are strict regulations, as I've noticed tourism there has gotten much more popular so it will inevitably damage the environment.

This account of an expedition to Antarctica highlights the fascinating experience of exploration and discovery. The meticulous planning, life aboard ship, and description of the breathtaking Antarctic landscape convey a sense of awe and wonder at nature. In addition, important ethical considerations about the environmental impact of tourism in this region are addressed. In short, it is an inspiring and thought-provoking account of the beauty and fragility of our planet. Very good Trip Report!!!

Back