Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Alec Oxenford Sees Dollar Avalanche for Argentina, Major Investors Based in Buenos Aires

Finance Prof

Good read. Hopefully some of what some people are predicting come true for Argentina. Very good interview. He mentioned it in the article but I am starting to notice more and more foreigners looking for real estate here. That is always a good sign. I heard that Sam Altman (OpenAI CEO) is looking to buy a property here and set up operations here.

Did any of you expats live in Buenos Aires during the 1:1 days? It sounds like most came after the big crash but anyone here during the period when it was super expensive here?

Could Argentina go back to those days where it is super expensive? Seems like most people want things to improve but people living on fixed incomes could run into problems here couldn't they if things get expensive? Locals would be making more but people on social security or pensions will not be able to arbitrage anymore.

Did any of you expats live in Buenos Aires during the 1:1 days? It sounds like most came after the big crash but anyone here during the period when it was super expensive here?

Could Argentina go back to those days where it is super expensive? Seems like most people want things to improve but people living on fixed incomes could run into problems here couldn't they if things get expensive? Locals would be making more but people on social security or pensions will not be able to arbitrage anymore.
I didn't live in BA but visited often back then and it was very expensive. Everything was priced in dollars. There was no tourism back then because it was so expensive. I am not sure if it will ever get to be that expensive again. It all depends on the economic recovery. It would be good for locals but probably disastrous for expats on fixed incomes.

I lived in Argentina during the period when it was very expensive. Taxi drivers back then were making about $35,000 to $40,000 US dollars per year. We loved Argentina even when it was very expensive but our $ went much further after the big crash. We were still making US dollar incomes but everything got very cheap. Inflation is stabilizing in some areas but other areas it is quite high. I am not convinced that Argentina will fix all of it's problems any time soon.

Back