Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

American-style breakfast restaurants in Buenos Aires?

Joe

Are there any good restaurants that you can recommend that have great American-style breakfasts? That is one thing I miss from home. A few restaurants try but I miss French toast, sausage links, hashbrowns, pancakes and assortment of egg dishes. That type of thing.

Here they don't do good breakfast and strange they eat sweet snacks in the morning. If anyone can recommend any places where I might find a good American breakfast I would be happy.

Are there any good restaurants that you can recommend that have great American-style breakfasts? That is one thing I miss from home. A few restaurants try but I miss French toast, sausage links, hashbrowns, pancakes and assortment of egg dishes. That type of thing.

Here they don't do good breakfast and strange they eat sweet snacks in the morning. If anyone can recommend any places where I might find a good American breakfast I would be happy.
This was one of the things I missed after moving here. After a while I stopped eating big breakfasts. There aren't too many places here because people don't eat big breakfasts here like we do back home. My family when they come go to Jay's American Breakfast. It's a gringo styled restaurant. Food is ok. Nothing extraordinary but if you're craving an American style breakfast than it will do.

Be forewarned the coffee is pretty bad here. I haven't been in a while but they have their menu on their website.

This was one of the things I missed after moving here. After a while I stopped eating big breakfasts. There aren't too many places here because people don't eat big breakfasts here like we do back home. My family when they come go to Jay's American Breakfast. It's a gringo styled restaurant. Food is ok. Nothing extraordinary but if you're craving an American style breakfast than it will do.

Be forewarned the coffee is pretty bad here. I haven't been in a while but they have their menu on their website.

Agree the coffee isn't the best there. It's a small diner. They also have burgers and other sandwiches. They also have bagels but they weren't good. I only go when I have family in town as it's one of the only breakfast all day places. It's been around a few years but mostly always has gringos in it which may or may no be your thing. Prices are reasonable for the portion sizes.

No place does good American style breakfast in BA. Jay's is mediocre at best. I always get family and friends asking why there aren't any good breakfast places here. I explained it's not their thing to eat the huge portions like we eat for breakfast.

I took my family to Trixie's in Costanera for pancakes but it was a pathetic attempt at US style pancakes. Wasn't good and also they don't have maple syrup! How can you have pancakes with no maple syrup? The last few times I went to Jay's they also didn't have any maple syrup! I didn't ask if they were just out or they didn't offer it. Jay's is probably your best bet for American breakfast.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much you Americans eat for breakfast! When I go to the US it is no wonder so many are overweight. I see people eating a mountain of food in the morning. That can't be good for you. Last time I went to Houston there were so many overweight and unhealthy people. I went to have a coffee with a friend and was shocked at even young kids with a mountain of food on their plate.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much you Americans eat for breakfast! When I go to the US it is no wonder so many are overweight. I see people eating a mountain of food in the morning. That can't be good for you. Last time I went to Houston there were so many overweight and unhealthy people. I went to have a coffee with a friend and was shocked at even young kids with a mountain of food on their plate.
I have the same reaction to you Larry. My daughter lives in the States and the first time I saw it I was surprised. People eating plates of 3 eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, potatoes all together so soon after waking up.

I have the same reaction to you Larry. My daughter lives in the States and the first time I saw it I was surprised. People eating plates of 3 eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, potatoes all together so soon after waking up.
Not everyone eats like that but it is true many have huge breakfasts, especially compared to other countries. Over the years, a few places have tried in BA but several have gone out of business. Argentina simply doesn't have the same mentality of big breakfasts like America. I'm surprised Jay's has been around for about 6 years.

I'm not a big breakfast person. It is fairly insane the amount some people eat for breakfast here in the USA. I think people are gearing away from those huge breakfasts. There are a lot of breakfast places here but I think there is a trend on a bit healthier eating here. At least I hope so!

In BA it didn't seem like many people eat eggs in the morning at all. I saw some eggs benedict at a few places but not too much. I can't imagine a US style breakfast place would stay in business there.

I recently went to Pani in Recoleta, and I highly recommend it. The breakfast is very American-style, just how I like it. They have many options, the service is impeccable, and the prices are reasonable.

View attachment 7316

I agree Pani is great. They have a location in Soho also that I've been to. They have pancakes and french toast and waffles too. They also have great eggs benedicts and avocado toast. You can see the menu here.

Thank you @Betsy Ross! I never heard of this place but I will check them out. The menu looks exactly what I'm looking for!

I go to Jay's pretty often, and honestly, the breakfasts are generous, true American style. Plus, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the people there are super friendly. I highly recommend it!

View attachment 7349

Yes that is the closest thing for American breakfast you will find in BA. When I went they also didn't have maple syrup so I think they must never have it which is a shame.

Back