Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Another wild strike by the pilots' union has begun and more than 15 thousand passengers will be affected at Aeroparque and Ezeiza - Infobae

All the Answers

Another wild strike by the pilots' union has begun and more than 15 thousand passengers will be affected at Aeroparque and Ezeiza - Infobae

1725638529469.png

Source:

September 06, 2024

The Airline Pilots Association began a new strike at 5 a.m. that will complicate 185 flights scheduled for this Friday. The companies lifted the penalties so that users can change their tickets.

The repercussions of the strike at Aeroparque and Ezeiza International Airport. The uncertainty and amazement of passengers (América Noticias)

The aeronautical union has begun a nine-hour strike that will last until 2 p.m., creating a difficult day both at the Jorge Newbery Airport and at the Ezeiza International Airport . The core of the demands is the search for a salary increase , but there has not yet been an agreement between the unions and Aerolíneas Argentinas (AA). “Further delays and proposals that are not only insufficient but provocative are unacceptable,” complained the Airline Pilots Association (APLA).

The strike forced the airline to lift the penalties for changing tickets to compensate the more than 15 thousand people who had flights scheduled for this morning . As the departure of 185 flights was cancelled , the company asked passengers not to show up at the terminals during the protest time slot. In addition, 16 emergency flights were scheduled for tomorrow for those with priority. On the other hand, the international flights, Miami and Madrid , that were scheduled were moved from their schedules and are rescheduled .

1725638651891.png
Arrivals and departures at Jorge Newbery Metropolitan Airport

The panorama at Aeroparque is one of total dismay and disbelief at the sudden strike by the pilots' union that affected 16,300 passengers . Any chair or bench is a refuge for rest while thousands of passengers wait for their flight to be confirmed, due to the delays, something that has been very difficult so far. And the list of cancelled flights is growing by the minute .

“I was supposed to fly to Uruguay at 10:30 and they told me at check-in that the flight was cancelled and they rescheduled it for 6pm. I'm going to stay at the airport. I'm coming from Bali (an island belonging to Indonesia). It was a 50-hour trip, so I'm used to waiting. They didn't give me any voucher or anything to consume until the new flight leaves ,” a woman told A24 .

I am from Uruguay and I am going to Comodoro Rivadavia . I found out that it had been cancelled at Aeroparque, but I had previously checked on WhatsApp and they had told me that everything was fine. I don't know if it will be rescheduled or cancelled. If I fly another day I will have to look for accommodation in the city because I am not from here,” a Uruguayan tourist told the América channel.

1725638730742.png
Hundreds of people gather at the metropolitan airport and Ezeiza, due to the brutal strike (Adrián Escandar)

Aerolíneas Argentinas told Infobae that the company is analyzing each case to cover the costs of transportation and lodging for those passengers who were stranded. “Those who start their flight in Buenos Aires and are leaving from here, naturally, will not be given a hotel or transportation. But for those who have already started their flight and are returning to their final destination or are foreigners, Aerolíneas Argentinas will provide the respective transportation and lodging ,” the press department told this media.

On the other hand, two Spanish tourists also expressed their indignation to a reporter from LN+. “We were travelling to Salta and had a flight at 6:40 and we arrived at 4 in the morning and found out that they had cancelled our flight . We are waiting for them to give us a good time because we have excursions for today, tomorrow and the day after,” said the woman. To which her companion added: “We have to get to Salta and we have been here for two hours lost, we are seeing if they can relocate us but so far we don’t know anything,” she complained.

Complaints from users waiting for their flights at Aeroparque

For his part, Fabián Lombardo , president of Aerolíneas Argentinas, said that the strike led by Pablo Biró “has no logic .” In addition, the head of the flag carrier described the strike as “savage.” “ The unions have not understood that Argentina has changed ,” he analyzed. And he also revealed how much the pilots earn : “The pilots who answer to Biró and this Friday earn between 3 and 10 million pesos per month , depending on their seniority and the number of trips they make. The average salary is $5,200,000 per month ,” he revealed on Radio Mitre .

And the company issued a notice. “ We recommend that those with flights in that time slot - from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. - modify their itineraries to avoid the period of greatest traffic and delays. This modification will be free of charge and can be made by selecting flights within a 15-day window, always to the same original destination,” the flag carrier assured. In order to carry out the procedure, they indicated that they will be available through aerolineas.com, the customer service channels on the website and the Aerolíneas Argentinas application.

1725638817063.png
The discontent of passengers affected by the strike was also reflected at Ezeiza airport (Maximiliano Luna)

“We had a flight to Iguazu at 10:40 and we received an email informing us of the cancellation. In principle we have a reservation made, but I don't think there will be tickets for today and they told us that if we're lucky, we'll lose a day at the hotel and they say that they're going to refund the expenses incurred,” two Argentine passengers who were to fly today from Aeroparque complained to the TN news channel.

In Ezeiza, there is also total uncertainty. A passenger at the international airport terminal, who is travelling to Córdoba, found out live - through a mobile phone from the América Noticias channel - that all Aerolíneas Argentinas departures were being cancelled by Minister Pistarini. “ I didn't know, I have to travel no matter what because I'm from there, I'm here on vacation, I don't have accommodation or anything here , my son is waiting for me at the Córdoba airport,” the passenger was surprised.

1725638879010.png
In Ezeiza, activity is also affected by this morning's strike (Maximiliano Luna)

In an official statement, the company targeted the unions by accusing them of modifying “the protest schedules to affect the greatest possible number of people,” despite attempts to “reschedule, delay, advance or apply any type of measure to mitigate the impact of the strikes.”

This reprehensible attitude will continue to be responded to by the company with discounts and sanctions . Aerolíneas Argentinas will continue to make its maximum effort to reduce the impact of these measures on the travel itineraries of its clients. We deeply regret the inconvenience that these protests will cause to our passengers,” they warned about the consequences that those who participate in the work stoppage will suffer.

Passengers who cannot take their flights rest at the Buenos Aires air terminal (Adrián Escandar)
On the other hand, yesterday, the Ministry of Transport ordered compulsory conciliation with the union of air traffic controllers represented by ATEPSA and, at the same time, deactivated the schedule of strikes they had planned. As a result of this, the measures scheduled for September were left without effect , including a strike scheduled for today. However, the Association of Airline Pilots (APLA) exhausted this instance with the Government and maintained the strike that began today.

“In the absence of satisfactory responses from the company, we have decided to intensify our strike measures,” APLA said in a statement confirming the continuation of the strike and stressed that “a serious company proposal is needed that is in line with our demands for wage adjustment.”

1725638924165.png

Arrivals and departures at Ezeiza International Airport

After the pilots' union complained about the lack of invitation to participate in the mandatory conciliation by the Ministry of Labor, the board of directors ruled: "Further delays and proposals that are not only insufficient but provocative are unacceptable."

In this way, they explained that “the conciliation was announced due to the impossibility of reaching an agreement.” For this reason, the authorities set a new hearing for September 11 at 11:30 a.m. The objective is for the parties to be able to bring their positions closer together, despite the fact that there were two failed meetings this week that ended up deepening the union conflict.

Another of the young people waiting at Aeroparque for his flight, a reflection of the discomfort of this morning

At the same time, the association denounced attempts by the company to divide them in an attempt to stop the strike. “We have been patient, we have dialogued, but the company, as the only response to the conflict, sends the pilots a pamphlet that attempts to break the collective unity of its workers,” they said.

For this reason, they addressed the affiliated pilots, highlighting that “these are critical moments that require serenity, carrying out a strategy based on the power and strength that comes from group unity.” After urging them to remain united in their claim, they stated: “We have experience in this type of conflict and we will go through it together once again.”

1725639009110.png
The service is paralyzed by the strike by the aeronautical union (Adrián Escandar)

Back