Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Any frequent flyer award/miles redemption programs with decent redemptions from EZE to USA?

MikeYoung

I have been coming back and forth from the USA to Argentina for many years. I have usually been able to find a good deal but lately the miles are sky high. I am fairly flexible to which cities but I'm on the East coast and mostly have flown to Miami or JFK but I have also flown through DFW or Atlanta as well. Any recommendations of which miles programs to use?

Many airlines severely cut the # of flights since COVID and never returned to the # of flights they had before. Some airlines like American Airlines cut back routes many years ago. I used to fly from LAX to EZE and it was great but now it's a hassle flying from West Coast to Buenos Aires. I usually fly American Airlines from via DFW. There is NO direct flight from the West Coast.

As you noted, it's difficult to get a mile saver lower 30,000 mile trip these days on American. What I recommend is you use a paid website like Point.me. I use that one but it's not as powerful as it used to be. They used to have a 3 day search but now it's gone.

I also heard that Built Rewards has a search but I have't used it much:

Also, being on the West Coast what I sometimes do is also fly into Mexico City on Aeromexico and then just get a cheap ticket from Mexico City to Tijuana and then walk over on Cross Border Express (CBX). You can see a sample search I did on Point.me from EZE to LAX and American Express has a promotion now. Even though Aeromexico charges 50,000 points for that route, there is a 1,600 points for every 1,000 points transferred on the Amex Membership Rewards so it's only 32,000 points if you have Amex Points.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.07.08 PM.jpg

I also recommend to check out Flyertalk Forums:

And a great forum that has a lot of frequent flyer stuff is at:

Many airlines severely cut the # of flights since COVID and never returned to the # of flights they had before. Some airlines like American Airlines cut back routes many years ago. I used to fly from LAX to EZE and it was great but now it's a hassle flying from West Coast to Buenos Aires. I usually fly American Airlines from via DFW. There is NO direct flight from the West Coast.

As you noted, it's difficult to get a mile saver lower 30,000 mile trip these days on American. What I recommend is you use a paid website like Point.me. I use that one but it's not as powerful as it used to be. They used to have a 3 day search but now it's gone.

I also heard that Built Rewards has a search but I have't used it much:

Also, being on the West Coast what I sometimes do is also fly into Mexico City on Aeromexico and then just get a cheap ticket from Mexico City to Tijuana and then walk over on Cross Border Express (CBX). You can see a sample search I did on Point.me from EZE to LAX and American Express has a promotion now. Even though Aeromexico charges 50,000 points for that route, there is a 1,600 points for every 1,000 points transferred on the Amex Membership Rewards so it's only 32,000 points if you have Amex Points.

View attachment 1268

I also recommend to check out Flyertalk Forums:

And a great forum that has a lot of frequent flyer stuff is at:

Thank you so much! I didn't know there was a website where you can look up award deals. This is great!

Thank you so much! I didn't know there was a website where you can look up award deals. This is great!
You are certainly welcome. There are a lot of other tools online. There are booking award services as well but I typically recommend that you use one of these websites. Also, if you get more advanced, you can use websites like this. You can sign up for a free trial. You can get alerted once an airline has a reward available and you can see which awards are available.

find a good deal
my favorite phrase! i've been credit-card-churning for over 10 years and my friends have slowly started to notice that you can fly for free while just spending what you'd spend, anyway, but if your attention to detail isn't really good, travel-hacking isn't for everyone.

i get a card i can spend on, and make sure it's not too much. then i get on Google Travel/Flights: https://www.google.com/travel/flights

..and i do a reverse-search, so in your case, Buenos Aires to anywhere else in the world (zoomed-in on USA for you), and then see what's cheap. https://www.google.com/travel/explo...uep0pAESKZty8FoUjAEhIJy9C2WwFKLEARSObtS2H9YMA

(not sure if that link will work). then i find the cheapest days from the cities i would be willing to fly out of around that date, and i click the calendar to see Google Flights' prices. then i look at AA.com and the other 2 main carriers and see what i have points in, or Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Costco.com travel, then see if i can get a flight for cheap. attached screenshot if you haven't used Google Travel.

prices DO seem high right now. here's an initial AA search with miles:

"Ida y vuelta (por persona)

MIA a EZE
30.000 millas
EZE a MIA
25.000 millas

Total (todos los pasajeros)
55.000 millas + $105.40
Incluye impuestos y tasas fijadas"

so, $106 USD and 55k AA miles for MIA-EZE.

i got my flight Tampa-Miami-BsAs for $150 USD and 70,500 Chase points, so that was a little high also. flying to BsAs just seems expensive, so hopefully the Open Skies policy changes that. i prefer spending 600 bucks for a roundtrip, but post-COVID-lockdowns sh*t is just mor expensive. but,

$592 Lima, $630 Rome roundtrip from PHX

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 1
@MikeYoung any findings?

i don't know how much longer American/Barclays will do it, but i got the Aviator card for a $99 annual fee and if you make a single purchase, no matter if even just $1, you get 60k AA miles. and if you add an authorized user (my gf and i added each other), you get 15k more, so 75k

"AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®" if you haven't had it in a while, try getting this bonus for those miles! AA flies MIA-EZE so it would be helpful

in this example, i'll get 75k and my gf will get 75k, for spending 100 dollars. we'll use the AA miles, cancel in 11 months before the annual fee, and we'll probably save $800 each because of these miles. here's American Airlines' redemption chart:

Where are you traveling?

Miles shown are estimated starting values for one-way trips originating in North America, for informational purposes only. Two flight awards are needed if your one-way trip includes two long haul international flights.

Region:Main Cabin starting at:Premium Economy starting at:Business / First starting at:
Contiguous 48 U.S. states + Canada7,50015,000
Mexico + Caribbean + Central America10,00020,000
South America – Short Haul15,00030,000
Hawaii + Alaska20,00040,00060,000
Europe25,00050,00075,000
South America – Long Haul30,00060,00090,000
Asia + Middle East + South Pacific35,00060,00095,000

if anyone wants more info on "Travel Hacking" or "credit card churning" i've been doing it for a decade and am happy to post links to useful sites

a roundtrip AA MIA-EZE 09Mar-09Apr would cost a total of:

Main - Round trip (per person)
60,000 miles + $99.80 (I
ncludes taxes and carrier-imposed fees)

...so 60k miles and 100 bucks for round-trip MIA-EZE, which if you include the $99 annual fee for the card, you're getting a roundtrip flight for $200 USD. that would cost at a minimum $574 USD if you took the cheapest flight on Google Travel:

@MikeYoung any findings?

i don't know how much longer American/Barclays will do it, but i got the Aviator card for a $99 annual fee and if you make a single purchase, no matter if even just $1, you get 60k AA miles. and if you add an authorized user (my gf and i added each other), you get 15k more, so 75k

"AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®" if you haven't had it in a while, try getting this bonus for those miles! AA flies MIA-EZE so it would be helpful

in this example, i'll get 75k and my gf will get 75k, for spending 100 dollars. we'll use the AA miles, cancel in 11 months before the annual fee, and we'll probably save $800 each because of these miles. here's American Airlines' redemption chart:

Where are you traveling?

Miles shown are estimated starting values for one-way trips originating in North America, for informational purposes only. Two flight awards are needed if your one-way trip includes two long haul international flights.

Region:Main Cabin starting at:Premium Economy starting at:Business / First starting at:
Contiguous 48 U.S. states + Canada7,50015,000
Mexico + Caribbean + Central America10,00020,000
South America – Short Haul15,00030,000
Hawaii + Alaska20,00040,00060,000
Europe25,00050,00075,000
South America – Long Haul30,00060,00090,000
Asia + Middle East + South Pacific35,00060,00095,000

if anyone wants more info on "Travel Hacking" or "credit card churning" i've been doing it for a decade and am happy to post links to useful sites

a roundtrip AA MIA-EZE 09Mar-09Apr would cost a total of:

Main - Round trip (per person)
60,000 miles + $99.80 (I
ncludes taxes and carrier-imposed fees)

...so 60k miles and 100 bucks for round-trip MIA-EZE, which if you include the $99 annual fee for the card, you're getting a roundtrip flight for $200 USD. that would cost at a minimum $574 USD if you took the cheapest flight on Google Travel:

This is great! Can you please post a thread in the Travel section on this topic? I never heard of this before! Many can add what they know.

Back