Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Apart from a perma ban whats the worst they could do to you for overstaying?

haven't heard of this, but check this thread on my 1-10 list again:

there are real people, on this forum, saying they were denied entry and had legal issues. just take a calculated risk based on your situation!

that being said,

It's 12,500 pesos on the way out the door, no matter how long.
well, maybe that's the cost now, but what are the permanent repercussions on your Argentine record? ask @naked if there is a risk to abusing Tourist Visas on that thread:

I'm not sure there is anything else they can do but fine you.
they could deny you entry next time, and you'd have to buy an expensive plane ticket and lose your Airbnb, possibly thousands of dollars. and not let you re-enter for X time. @Darksider415 did you read that other thread?? they are electronically tracking abuse of tourist visas now, and there is some sort of algorithm. be careful with recommending overstaying and border-runs. new people might not know things have changed.

they could deny you entry next time, and you'd have to buy an expensive plane ticket and lose your Airbnb, possibly thousands of dollars. and not let you re-enter for X time. @Darksider415 did you read that other thread?? they are electronically tracking abuse of tourist visas now, and there is some sort of algorithm. be careful with recommending overstaying and border-runs. new people might not know things have changed.
Nobody said anything about recommending an overstay or a border run. The question was, “other than a permanent ban, what can they do” and the fine is 12,500 pesos. I think everyone here is very aware that migraciones can deny entry for any reason at any time without a valid residency.

Nobody said anything about recommending an overstay or a border run. The question was, “other than a permanent ban, what can they do” and the fine is 12,500 pesos. I think everyone here is very aware that migraciones can deny entry for any reason at any time without a valid residency.
Yes I think you need to take a grain of salt with anything. Argentina is NOT an organized country. Even if there are one off situations, it might just be the migraciones officer that was having a bad day. I don't think until you read consistently of people having issues then it means anything. I know and hear of many that do border runs without issues. So until I hear otherwise from friends or friends of friends I am going to assume that is still the norm.

Of course @Darksider415 is correct that if you're breaking the law (which both options seem like they are against the law no matter what anyone tries to argue) then there exists the possibility that you will face some issue. But it doesn't seem like it's an issue more than a one or two off type of situation.

I have never ever in 15 years coming to Argentina ever heard of them permanently banning anyone. And even if there is a post or two out there online, I would chalk it up to an angry customs agent that was having a bad day and taking it out on that person. It is not the norm.

It's 12,500 pesos on the way out the door, no matter how long.
This is correct. I know people who overstayed for years and just paid that same fine. It may change with inflation but they should list it on their website. My friend from Italy got stuck here during COVID and liked it so much she stayed over 2 years and she just paid the fine last month. They asked her why she stayed so long and she told them she got stuck here during COVID and then life happened and she couldn't get back until now. They scolded her but they never talked to her if she is banned and she isn't coming back until June. She isn't sure if they will say anything when she re-enters but I will post here once she attempts re-entry.

Back