Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics ARC Energy Makes First Bid to Acquire Impsa: What Does It Mean for Argentina?

noname

It's a dilemma for me because ARC Energy buying Impsa could go either way for Argentina. On one hand, it could bring in new money and technology that helps the company and the energy sector. But it also makes us worry about losing control of such a crucial company and becoming too reliant on outside investors. In the end, whether this is good or bad for Argentina will depend on how we handle it and what real benefits it brings. We just have to trust it'll be a good thing for the country.

I think it's bad for the country. The acquisition of Impsa by an American company means privatizing another key part of our energy sector, which should remain under national control. We’re handing over a crucial company to foreign investors, risking our autonomy and economic stability. I'm not an expert, but privatization has often led to higher costs and less accountability. Instead of investing in our own resources and talent, we’re becoming dependent on outsiders. This could lead to job losses and less control over our energy infrastructure. It feels like a short-term solution that could have long-term negative consequences for Argentina.

I think it's bad for the country. The acquisition of Impsa by an American company means privatizing another key part of our energy sector, which should remain under national control. We’re handing over a crucial company to foreign investors, risking our autonomy and economic stability. I'm not an expert, but privatization has often led to higher costs and less accountability. Instead of investing in our own resources and talent, we’re becoming dependent on outsiders. This could lead to job losses and less control over our energy infrastructure. It feels like a short-term solution that could have long-term negative consequences for Argentina.
If an American company is buying it you can bet the subsidies and lower prices will be over. they will be maximizing profits.

If an American company is buying it you can bet the subsidies and lower prices will be over. they will be maximizing profits.
Yes either way prices will go way up. No company is going to invest unless they plan to increase prices and make money.

I think it's good for the country. ARC Energy's entry could bring fresh investments and new technology that could boost Impsa and Argentina's energy sector. It could create more jobs and opportunities for locals, as well as make our energy operations more efficient and competitive. Bringing in foreign investors could also speed up the construction of key infrastructure that benefits the entire economy. Yes, there are risks, but I believe the potential benefits outweigh long-term concerns, as long as we manage this transition to more foreign involvement in our energy market effectively.

I think all of this is really good for Argentina. Now, Pan American Energy (PAE), which is the main oil exporter in Argentina, is going to start producing liquefied natural gas (LNG) with the help of a Norwegian company called Golar LNG. They'll use a special ship to turn gas from Vaca Muerta into liquid and sell it worldwide starting in 2027. This involves an annual investment of $300 million. With all the fuss about Russia limiting gas to Europe, Argentina sees a big opportunity to sell its extra gas. Golar LNG will handle all the technical stuff to make it happen. Hopefully, this brings good business and economic growth to the country!

Back