Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Are restaurants in Buenos Aires going to start charging a surcharge for foreign credit cards utilizing the MEP rate?

GraceHill

I am curious if restaurants in Buenos Aires will start charging a surcharge to use a foreign credit card? My friend told me two places in Palermo he has recently visited started mentioning that there is a 10% surcharge to use a foreign credit card that will utilize the MEP rate. How do the owners of the restaurants distinguish between foreign credit cards and local credit cards?

I have not run into this at all but my friend mentioned it and I have read it happening to others. I did have many places tell me they will give me a 10% discount to pay in cash/efectivo but never heard of restaurants adding on a surcharge. I am wondering if this will become more common? I hope not.

I am curious if restaurants in Buenos Aires will start charging a surcharge to use a foreign credit card? My friend told me two places in Palermo he has recently visited started mentioning that there is a 10% surcharge to use a foreign credit card that will utilize the MEP rate. How do the owners of the restaurants distinguish between foreign credit cards and local credit cards?

I have not run into this at all but my friend mentioned it and I have read it happening to others. I did have many places tell me they will give me a 10% discount to pay in cash/efectivo but never heard of restaurants adding on a surcharge. I am wondering if this will become more common? I hope not.
I once in a while run into this but I don't think they distinguished by a foreign credit card but just credit card in general. But it was a while back. I believe by law the government requires all businesses to accept debit cards. But I am not sure about credit cards. President Milei believes in allowing businesses to run their business like they want to so most likely this will be allowed.

What restaurant was charging your friend 10% more surcharge?

Some restaurants have always charged some surcharge to use a credit card. I don't think it is a foreign credit card thing. I don't think there is anything restrictive for business owners in charging a surcharge to use a credit card. The debit card is another thing however. I don't think there is anything wrong with a business owner giving people the choice to pay with a credit card and charging a surcharge if they want to use one.

Some restaurants have always charged some surcharge to use a credit card. I don't think it is a foreign credit card thing. I don't think there is anything restrictive for business owners in charging a surcharge to use a credit card. The debit card is another thing however. I don't think there is anything wrong with a business owner giving people the choice to pay with a credit card and charging a surcharge if they want to use one.
Actually I think you wrong. I read it is illegal to charge more to charge more based on payment method. But under Milei he probably will allow business owner to do whatever they want. It always normal to offer discount for people pay efectivo/cash. The price should be same no matter which method you pay.

I see some signs now that say no foreign credit card accepted. I'm not sure if this illegal or not but again Milei probably let business owner do whatever they want now.

Some places charge a surcharge for using credit cards. I am not sure of the legality but I doubt anyone will stop them, especially now with Milei letting businesses operate as they see fit. Even with the surcharge it is still worth it to me sometimes due to not having cash on me.

Now some places don't even accept credit cards. With the recession it is more difficult for places to make money. They will try to save costs however they can.

GQNDC7YXMAA80g1.jpeg

I thought it was illegal for stores not to accept debit cards? Don't all of them have to accept them by law? I assume this photo @Larry is not Buenos Aires. Which city is it in?

Back