Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina recession leaves once-bustling Buenos Aires restaurants hustling for customers

Larry

Even little luxuries like coffee and a croissant are too expensive for many, as Argentines reel from the effects of lower purchasing power and surging costs for everything from electricity to bus tickets.

I was talking to one restaurant owner in Palermo Soho and he told me that business is down about 30% from the same time last year. I noticed this article says at least 20% so that sounds about right.

He told me it was a double whammy as not only were there far less customers but all his costs have gone up. He said his electricity and gas bills have skyrocketed up. This article mentioned the same problems he told me about. He said he couldn't raise prices because he was already struggling to get customers. He said that many places will probably go out of business unless things turn around soon.

Coffee shops seem like they have high margins but not so sure about restaurants.

Even little luxuries like coffee and a croissant are too expensive for many, as Argentines reel from the effects of lower purchasing power and surging costs for everything from electricity to bus tickets.

Very true. Many places will go out of business if this recession continues.

Does Don Julio still have a line out the door? I haven't walked by there in a while.
I live by Don Julio. There are still lines but not as big as before. It used to be a month wait online to book but now you can usually find something a few days out now. So even that place has slowed down compared to before.

If you went on their website before you couldn't find anything even a month out. Now, very easy.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 4.30.38 PM.jpg

I live by Don Julio. There are still lines but not as big as before. It used to be a month wait online to book but now you can usually find something a few days out now. So even that place has slowed down compared to before.

If you went on their website before you couldn't find anything even a month out. Now, very easy.

View attachment 7466
Wow! That definitely is a sign that things have slowed down. A friend was in town a few months ago and went online to try to book dinner and it was all blocked out. Thanks @Digital Nomad. Just saw that I could get a lunch for as soon as a few days from now.

Very true. Many places will go out of business if this recession continues.
Either their profit margin goes down or maybe they do shut their doors. The margins in the restaurant business are not high to begin with. If salaries go up, expenses all drastically go up and you can't mark up your prices that is a recipe for disaster.

View attachment 7466
We went on the weekend and there was still a long line if you go on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. But some advice. You can slip the girl at the front some money and she can get you ahead of the list. I went last weekend with an American friend and he didn't want to wait. He gave the girl in front some cash. I think he gave her $30 USD and asked if we could get our group of 4 people in. She got us a table in only 15 minutes when people left. Not sure if this is common but worth mentioning.

We went on the weekend and there was still a long line if you go on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. But some advice. You can slip the girl at the front some money and she can get you ahead of the list. I went last weekend with an American friend and he didn't want to wait. He gave the girl in front some cash. I think he gave her $30 USD and asked if we could get our group of 4 people in. She got us a table in only 15 minutes when people left. Not sure if this is common but worth mentioning.
That makes me not want to go there!

Back