Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina will be in the group of countries that support the defense of Ukraine against the Russian invasion

Silvia

I am really surprised to hear about this. So Argentina has five Super fighter planes just sitting in storage that need spare parts and now they are going to the Ukraine?

Infobae said a few days ago that the Argentine government put together an aid plan for Ukraine that includes the shipment of five Super Etendard fighter planes that are in disuse, due to the embargo applied by Great Britain against Argentina as a result of the War in the Falkland Islands in 1982. France's participation is key to overcoming this geopolitical stumbling block, and that is why both Chancellor Diana Mondino and Petri have been working for weeks to advance in this secret move that also involves the United States and NATO.

Mondino addressed this complex issue during the meeting he had in Paris with French Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné, in a stealthy meeting he starred with NATO in Brussels in early May, and when he visited Jake Sullivan - Joe Biden's National Security Counselor - in his office in the West Wing of the White House.

In order for this idea to come to a reality, Argentina will also have to overcome some geopolitical obstacles. Those planes are inactive at the Puerto Belgrano base (south of the province of Buenos Aires) and need a spare part that must be provided by the United Kingdom.

The Government's plan has devised a bypass to overcome the British embargo and allow Ukraine to access warships.

Argentina would make a swap with France: the Super Etendard for other military equipment - drones or helicopters, according to what was proposed -, and Emmanuel Macron's administration would be in charge of putting the new cartridges to the ejector seats so that the ships are in a position to fight against Russia.

I guess if these were just sitting in storage anyway and not being used why not.
I just saw that news that Argentina plans to give Ukraine 5 junkers planes that they don't even have parts for anyway so they are junk to Argentina.

I just saw that news that Argentina plans to give Ukraine 5 junkers planes that they don't even have parts for anyway so they are junk to Argentina.

I didn't know about this this import restriction on parts. It looks like Argentina is also decommissioning a ship due to no parts being available. I wonder how many military vehicles are junked due to this?

Problem is Milei is promising more than he should. Argentina should stay neural and out of this conflict. Makes no sense to even be in the middle of this mess. Plus he allows all of Russians to move here which I don't have problems with but just stay out of conflict completely. I have not talked to even one Argentine that wants to be involved in this mess in Ukraine and disagrees with Milei wasting even a second of time on this.

Back