Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Aussie's In BA

hunt

My partner and I, both in our early 50s and hailing from Australia, will be arriving in Buenos Aires on December 6, 2023, following a cruise from Chile to Cape Horn. We have four days in Buenos Aires before our flight to Santiago.

We're considering a trip to Iguazu Falls, planning to fly on December 8 and return on December 9, staying for one night. We've gathered information from various forums but would appreciate additional advice on the following:

1. Is it better to book our flights from Australia in advance or wait until we're in Buenos Aires for potentially better rates?
  2. Regarding currency, there's a discussion about bringing USD for conversion. Is it acceptable to bring Australian dollars, or should we exchange them for USD before arriving?
  3. In terms of accommodation in Buenos Aires, we're thinking of staying in Recoleta. We'd welcome any recommendations for hotels that offer a good breakfast. Currently, we're considering AQ Tailored Suites and Blank Hotel. We're using Booking.com; is it advisable to pay in advance or simply reserve the rooms?
We're looking forward to any advice you can provide. Thank you.

My partner and I, both in our early 50s and hailing from Australia, will be arriving in Buenos Aires on December 6, 2023, following a cruise from Chile to Cape Horn. We have four days in Buenos Aires before our flight to Santiago.

We're considering a trip to Iguazu Falls, planning to fly on December 8 and return on December 9, staying for one night. We've gathered information from various forums but would appreciate additional advice on the following:

1. Is it better to book our flights from Australia in advance or wait until we're in Buenos Aires for potentially better rates?
  2. Regarding currency, there's a discussion about bringing USD for conversion. Is it acceptable to bring Australian dollars, or should we exchange them for USD before arriving?
  3. In terms of accommodation in Buenos Aires, we're thinking of staying in Recoleta. We'd welcome any recommendations for hotels that offer a good breakfast. Currently, we're considering AQ Tailored Suites and Blank Hotel. We're using Booking.com; is it advisable to pay in advance or simply reserve the rooms?
We're looking forward to any advice you can provide. Thank you.
Flying to the falls for just one night would give you approximately 3 or 4 hours to explore the falls. Personally, I believe this may not justify the expense. Ideally, you would need a minimum of two nights to ensure you have a full day to enjoy the experience.

Additionally, it's advisable to return to Buenos Aires the day before your flight to Santiago. This precaution is essential in case your flight is delayed or canceled, as it could result in missing your connection to Santiago.

1. I opted to secure all my domestic flight bookings in advance from my home due to concerns about internet connectivity and safety. I took advantage of the blue dollar rate when using my Visa.
  2. Instead of the less practical route of converting my Canadian dollars (CAD) to U.S. dollars (USD) and then to Argentine pesos (ARS), I converted a portion of my CAD to USD and sent the remainder via Western Union in CAD. This way, I still received the blue dollar rate, and I only had to deal with a single exchange rate instead of two.
  3. I'm not familiar with those hotels since I chose to stay in Airbnbs. However, opting for Recoleta is a great choice. It's a charming and secure area, making for a delightful stay.
Enjoy your trip!

Like the other poster, I'd recommend that you spend at least 1 night at Iguazu. It's breathtaking to visit both sides (Argentina and Brazil). You aren't doing it justice rushing a visit so quickly. You can buy your ticket from home. Just make sure when you're checking out you pay in Argentine pesos and use a credit card from your home country.

For Recoleta that's a great area. Rather than Booking.com I'd recommend Airbnb. Just filter by "Superhost" and you will be assured that you won't have any issues. Have a great trip!

Back