Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Axel Kicillof responded to Jorge Macri about the priority for Buenos Aires residents in the City's hospitals: “It is stupid reasoning” - Infobae

cameron

Axel Kicillof responded to Jorge Macri about the priority for Buenos Aires residents in the City's hospitals: “It is stupid reasoning” - Infobae
1707236129881.png

Source:

February 06, 2024

The head of the Buenos Aires Government announced today that they could begin to transfer to the Province the cost of medical consultations for Buenos Aires residents who receive care in the City. Harsh response from the governor

Kicillof crossed Jorge Macri for the care in Buenos Aires hospitals of Buenos Aires residents
The governor of the province of Buenos Aires, Axel Kicillof, today described as “stupid reasoning” the statements of the head of the Buenos Aires Government, Jorge Macri, who said that they are working on a new diagnosis and care system that prioritizes public hospitals. to the people of Buenos Aires and that they are even considering starting to transfer to the Province the cost of the consultations that Buenos Aires residents carry out in health centers in the City.

In a harsh response, Kicillof recalled that “every day, two or three million Buenos Aires residents go to work in the City,” and highlighted the amount of taxes they pay for that.

“If we do the math, most of the taxes of the City of Buenos Aires are the product of the work of the people of Buenos Aires who go there. But how stupid the reasoning is ,” said the president.

The viralization of a video of the Argerich hospital guard full of patients who arrived from the province of Buenos Aires seeking medical attention generated a new point of conflict between the Buenos Aires and Buenos Aires governments. The images exposed a situation that is not new but seems to have become more pronounced in recent months: that of many people who do not find answers in Buenos Aires public health and move to the Federal Capital to be treated, even in non-emergency situations.

“We need the Province to assume its responsibility for health in its place of origin,” Jorge Macri pointed out in dialogue with Marcelo Longobardi on Rivadavia radio .

“What is happening is something historic, but it is reaching its highest peak of complexity. The level of mismanagement and disinvestment in public health at the provincial level is serious. Note that most of the municipalities where they say they come from do not have municipal health. We make a great effort, but it has a limit. Our responsibility is to try to prioritize the neighbor who supports the public system,” Macri explained.

Kicillof's response was immediate: the governor recalled in return the number of Buenos Aires residents who visit the Province, particularly during tourist periods. “In a normal season, we have 10 million tourists, I don't know how this one is going to end. Of which many are from the Federal Capital. When did you hear me say, launching Operativo Sol, that I am going to ask for your address so that I can charge you or serve you? The truth is that it doesn't have much logic,” said the president in an interview on Crónica TV .

All the people of Buenos Aires who go to the province of Buenos Aires, who go to Pilar on weekends, who go to our coast, to our tourist destinations, rest assured that the province of Buenos Aires has a record Operativo Sol, and not We are not going to allow ourselves to be bullied nor are we going to start asking questions of this type in a moment as complicated as this,” he added.

In this framework, Kicillof recalled that “ the province of Buenos Aires contributes 40% of the resources and receives 20,” although he clarified that he is not going to claim “that 40% because it is a federal country, it is a country of solidarity. “It is not the right approach.”
Another of the arguments that the Buenos Aires president used to respond to his counterpart from the City is the move from the private sector to the public health sector that has been registered in the province since the inauguration of Javier Milei as president.

“What we are also seeing in the municipalities is that more and more people who previously could pay for a remedy privately with a prepaid plan are going to the hospital. Let them not be distracted by these issues, we must have important discussions,” he highlighted.

A video that exposed a historical situation​

This weekend a video went viral where a doctor from the Argerich Hospital had a heated dialogue with a dozen patients from Buenos Aires who showed up at the ward and complained about the slowness of care.

“We've been here for four hours,” a woman can be heard saying. The doctor, completely overwhelmed by the recriminations, begins to ask them where they came from to be treated. “I come from La Plata,” says another of them. “From Florencio Varela”, “From here from Zapiola”, “From Aldo Bonzi”, “From Avellaneda”, those present continued to say.

CABA hospitals collapsed due to the number of patients who are going to be treated from the province of Buenos Aires
Upon noticing these responses, the doctor was forceful in his defense: “ None of them come from La Boca. Here I serve and have a resource capacity for patients from the Federal Capital, especially from La Boca. That's why I'm overworked. “Everyone comes here

“I take care of who I can take care of because this oncology hospital washed its hands,” the doctor attacked in reference to an IOMA patient who presented at that Buenos Aires hospital. “The one from Avellaneda also washed his hands,” Ella added.

“So wait a little while and I'll take care of you,” the surgeon excused himself.

Official sources from the Buenos Aires government explained to Infobae that these types of situations are not new. In fact, the Ministry of Health is working to strengthen primary care through the Health and Community Action Centers (SESAC) so that residents receive care in the neighborhoods with their family doctors and not in public hospitals. “Images like those in the video are what we precisely want to avoid, the collapse of the guards,” they explained.

Back