Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer BA Neighborhoods/Districts

karen99

Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Argentina at the end of March which of course includes BA. Can anyone give me a brief overview of BA districts so we can select a safe hotel in a suitable location for us? (For example, is there an area known for its restaurants or shops? Is there a district that might be a little quieter but still has places to walk? Are there areas I should avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Happy Traveler, a pleasure to try to help you in the selection of the neighborhoods to stay in BA,

Basically, I recommend to you 4 neighborhoods to stay in:

1) San Telmo: Is the historic part of the city, in the south of the city, very nice to walk during the day, lot of museums, churches, restaurants, bar, and also have movement during the night, but some part of this district could not be so nice during the night. Is close to downtown and La Boca.

2) Downtown: (close to Obelisco) Lot of movement during the day, but not during the night, except the zone of Corrientes Ave, where all Theaters are (like a mini Broadway).

3) Recoleta: For me is one of the best places to stay. Is also close to Downtown , but is a residential zone, with nice buildings, parks, vrey elegant, have a restaurants zone, shops, and very safe during the night.

4)Palermo: Is the trendy zone, full of restaurants, bars, modern shops with trendy clothes. Lot of movement during the night. I like it also.

So, depending on your preferences, and type of district you like, you can select one of these...in all you will find nice hotels, and all are relative safe...but as in many countries you always need to be alert.

Please, let me know if you need any additional detail or other information about BA.

Good neighborhood info in this thread. What do you guys think about Avenida de Mayo (I think in Monserrat), both for short term stays and longer term living?

Saw a video of that street on Twitter and the historic buildings looked great, almost like Madrid. Thought it was Recoleta at first and am thinking maybe I should expand my real estate search beyond Recoleta and Palermo to include Avenida de Mayo.

Good neighborhood info in this thread. What do you guys think about Avenida de Mayo (I think in Monserrat), both for short term stays and longer term living?

Saw a video of that street on Twitter and the historic buildings looked great, almost like Madrid. Thought it was Recoleta at first and am thinking maybe I should expand my real estate search beyond Recoleta and Palermo to include Avenida de Mayo.
I don't like the Monserrat area. Of course it's MUCH cheaper than the nicer neighborhoods like Recoleta or Palermo but my attitude is you get what you pay for. That area can be dingy, traffic can be bad, etc. There are almost never protests in Recoleta or Palermo but the downtown area can often times get them so you have to deal with that mess of traffic, etc.

Some people like that area for cost of living, etc. But I think if money was no object, not many expats would purposely pick it vs. other nicer areas.

You can visit my website for a brief description of ALL Buenos Aires's neighborhoods. You can click for more detail - https://buysellba.com/buenos-aires-neighborhood

You can click on the "Learn More" and see the specific streets, bike paths, number of parks, hospitals, subway lines, etc.

Av. de Mayo is downtown, and leads from the Congress to the Plaza de Mayo/Casa Rosada, but the super crazy walk is on Corrientes (I've only been West of the Obelisk/9 de Julio highway, but it was packed with people! Hard to walk a dog, for sure, but doable if you are experienced.

the buildings are old, and it's kind of like San Francisco with old-architecture-over-function, but i'm trying 2 weeks in Monserrat to see it. for your first time in Buenos Aires, probably go with something a little less chaotic and just take a $5 taxi to the areas you want to see. pricing depends on how late you book on Airbnb, but post your prices here and we can check 'em for ya @expatagonia

Av. de Mayo is downtown, and leads from the Congress to the Plaza de Mayo/Casa Rosada, but the super crazy walk is on Corrientes (I've only been West of the Obelisk/9 de Julio highway, but it was packed with people! Hard to walk a dog, for sure, but doable if you are experienced.

the buildings are old, and it's kind of like San Francisco with old-architecture-over-function, but i'm trying 2 weeks in Monserrat to see it. for your first time in Buenos Aires, probably go with something a little less chaotic and just take a $5 taxi to the areas you want to see. pricing depends on how late you book on Airbnb, but post your prices here and we can check 'em for ya @expatagonia
NO ONE purposely stays in that area unless they are a broke backpacker. Most people I know that stay in that area are on a crazy tight budget. I don't like that area at all. I hate the downtown area.

Back