Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be aware of the new traffic fines that were drastically increased in Buenos Aires

Wally

FYI they have drastically raised traffic fines starting this month. Some of them have jumped up tremendously. One of the positives here in Argentina is that you can typically just pay the police a bribe and they will let you off but note the huge increase in the fines. You will most likely have to raise the amount you will have to pay them.

I have avoided paying a speeding ticket a few times but sounds like the fees are going up drastically so be careful out there.

FYI they have drastically raised traffic fines starting this month. Some of them have jumped up tremendously. One of the positives here in Argentina is that you can typically just pay the police a bribe and they will let you off but note the huge increase in the fines. You will most likely have to raise the amount you will have to pay them.

I have avoided paying a speeding ticket a few times but sounds like the fees are going up drastically so be careful out there.

Thoes are some very high increases. As you say, here in Argentina you can always find a way to pay the officer.

Same in most Latin American countries. The officers almost always will be available to make the ticket go away for the right price. Often times less than the actual ticket. But sometimes more depending on what it is. I had a friend in Brazil that was drunk driving which is wrong. But the officer charged him twice the ticket price and made him order an Uber.

Same in most Latin American countries. The officers almost always will be available to make the ticket go away for the right price. Often times less than the actual ticket. But sometimes more depending on what it is. I had a friend in Brazil that was drunk driving which is wrong. But the officer charged him twice the ticket price and made him order an Uber.
I have never had someone I know get a ticket because they can always pay the officer a bribe.

These fines went way up! As someone that has a heavy led foot when driving, I've gotten pulled over a few times in various countries in Latin America. Some that come to mind (Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, and Cuba). Many times I do offer to pay the ticket but almost the majority of the time the officer approaches me first about just getting rid of the ticket and paying him something.

I don't like doing this generally but I have done it in many places just because I was in a hurry. I always ask them where it needs to be paid, how much the ticket fine is, etc. A few months ago I was in Puebla, and the light bulb was broken and I turned left at a green light but I guess I was supposed to wait for an arrow that was broken. Although a police officer was right next to me, I just turned. They pulled me over immediately and I explained about the green light and they told me there is a separate green arrow. They literally would not allow me to leave without paying a cash bribe to them. I asked for the ticket 3 times and they kept stalling. Finally I was going to be late for a dinner and just paid the $30 they wanted.

Some people look at this as an advantage by-passing the court system and not having anything on your record and paying a fine but I don't like when the police do this as I think it can escalate and lead to other things.

Back