Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Medical Best option for a visit to a private medical clinic or hospital in Buenos Aires if I don't have medical insurance?

MikeRoss

I am not feeling well and woke up with a fever and it is getting worse. I was vomiting last night but it could have been something I ate. It is probably a good idea to visit a hospital or medical clinic. Can anyone post the best option for me? I am just here on a tourist visa and I have no medical insurance here in Argentina. I don't speak Spanish too well so if they speak English that would help but I'm sure I could get by with Google Translate. My girlfriend left last night for Miami so she isn't here.

Does anyone know a good place to go and maybe what it might cost? I am in Palermo Soho but I can go anywhere close that is convenient or not too far. Thanks in advance.

I am not feeling well and woke up with a fever and it is getting worse. I was vomiting last night but it could have been something I ate. It is probably a good idea to visit a hospital or medical clinic. Can anyone post the best option for me? I am just here on a tourist visa and I have no medical insurance here in Argentina. I don't speak Spanish too well so if they speak English that would help but I'm sure I could get by with Google Translate. My girlfriend left last night for Miami so she isn't here.

Does anyone know a good place to go and maybe what it might cost? I am in Palermo Soho but I can go anywhere close that is convenient or not too far. Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather. With how affordable healthcare is here, it doesn't make sense not to visit a hospital. There are several options but a good one is Hospital Aleman in Recoleta.

It is a large hospital but you can go to the international patients area which should be a bit quicker than going through their normal appointment section. When you go to the reception desk, ask to visit the Demanda Espontanea. It should cost around 30,000 pesos to be seen.

This is good to know as I will be living there a few months. Does anyone know if I can get my prescriptions filled there? Do I need a doctor's appointment? Or should I ask my US doctor to write me prescriptions for several months? The issue there is my medical insurance won't pay for things sometimes more than a 30-60 day supply. I guess I would need to see the cost difference paying out of pocket. I have some friends visiting me so maybe I can just have my mom send them to my friends to bring down. If anyone has any input on this. Thanks.

This is good to know as I will be living there a few months. Does anyone know if I can get my prescriptions filled there? Do I need a doctor's appointment? Or should I ask my US doctor to write me prescriptions for several months? The issue there is my medical insurance won't pay for things sometimes more than a 30-60 day supply. I guess I would need to see the cost difference paying out of pocket. I have some friends visiting me so maybe I can just have my mom send them to my friends to bring down. If anyone has any input on this. Thanks.
USA prescriptions aren't valid here. Also beware that you can't have medications shipped to Argentina. It is always a hassle with customs. The easiest way is to have a friend coming to bring it down for you. That is what I did for a while before when I moved down here but some friends or friends of friends were leery about bringing medications, especially as customs or airline sometimes asks if you are carrying anything for anyone. The cost of medications are typically less here but not sure if insurance is paying part/all of it back home. You can see this thread about prescription prices at pharmacies -

You can easily go to these clinics above and ask for a prescription and they will fill it if you show your bottle. But you can probably avoid that. My friend that came down last time went to Farma Plus next to Swiss Medical Clinic and they filled her prescriptions. She just showed her medicine bottle from the USA and they filled it. I'm told they will fill most prescriptions if you have your bottle with your name on it. My friend filled a sleeping pill prescription this way.

Last edited:
USA prescriptions aren't valid here. Also beware that you can't have medications shipped to Argentina. It is always a hassle with customs. The easiest way is to have a friend coming to bring it down for you. That is what I did for a while before when I moved down here but some friends or friends of friends were leery about bringing medications, especially as customs or airline sometimes asks if you are carrying anything for anyone. The cost of medications are typically less here but not sure if insurance is paying part/all of it back home. You can see this thread about prescription prices at pharmacies -

You can easily go to these clinics above and ask for a prescription and they will fill it if you show your bottle. But you can probably avoid that. My friend that came down last time went to Farma Plus next to Swiss Medical Clinic and they filled her prescriptions. She just showed her medicine bottle from the USA and they filled it. I'm told they will fill most prescriptions if you have your bottle with your name on it. My friend filled a sleeping pill prescription this way.

Thank you for this recommendation for the pharmacy! I will try that. I have been trying to get a prescription I have filled but no pharmacy will refill it without a prescription from a doctor in Argentina. I will try it and report back.

Thank you! I did go to Hospital Alemen and it was very easy. I also got a prescription I had from the USA filled. I just showed my bottle and got it filled. You all are so wonderful with great info.

Thank you! I did go to Hospital Alemen and it was very easy. I also got a prescription I had from the USA filled. I just showed my bottle and got it filled. You all are so wonderful with great info.
That is great! I don't think they will fill just any prescription but as long as it's not some type of narcotics you probably won't have issues.

Back