Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Buenos Aires Subway’s Heavily Subsidized Fares Set to Quadruple

Finance Prof

Commuters in Buenos Aires will see subway fares quadruple Friday morning, a consequence of President Javier Milei’s austerity drive.

Non Paywall version: https://archive.is/d3ZPC
I know everyone says it is too cheap and has to come up but 4 X is a huge jump. I would have preferred they did it more gradual. This is a lot of money for locals. Especially the blue collar workers like maids that have to commute around.

Commuters in Buenos Aires will see subway fares quadruple Friday morning, a consequence of President Javier Milei’s austerity drive.

Non Paywall version: https://archive.is/d3ZPC
It is criminal for this government to raise prices so much so fast. All the people can't afford to pay this. Government must keep it reasonable so people can go to work. Sometimes the government must operate at a loss so society functions. This is one of those times. When prices go up too much you will see people will refuse to pay it anyway.

I do think sometimes things like public transportation shouldn't necessarily be a money maker for governments. I think it's subsidized in lots of places around the world. I know they are desperate to fix the issues but too much too soon probably will cause social problems. I saw this on PBS today.

I do think sometimes things like public transportation shouldn't necessarily be a money maker for governments. I think it's subsidized in lots of places around the world. I know they are desperate to fix the issues but too much too soon probably will cause social problems. I saw this on PBS today.

Agree. You have to make transportation available for those that commute into the city. I agree it was too low but you have to gradually increase it as the economy improves. Sudden shock is no good for anyone.

My mates in Buenos Aires really feel the difference of these. You have to keep in mind the typical salary there is only about $800 USD per month or so. So big jumps like this on the metro add up daily.

True. But those who can afford a maid should cover their transportation. The people who work in offices, shops, low-wage construction, etc., will feel the squeeze.
But do workers get inflation adjustments or raises? I heard they get some increases to help with inflation. Is this true? I met a few friends there and they said they are getting some inflation adjustments to their salary. I didn't want to be rude and ask them how much % increase they are getting.

But do workers get inflation adjustments or raises? I heard they get some increases to help with inflation. Is this true? I met a few friends there and they said they are getting some inflation adjustments to their salary. I didn't want to be rude and ask them how much % increase they are getting.
Yes most employers are giving some inflation adjustments both in the public and private sector. Most all jobs are part of a union and different unions have different % increases. It doesn't match the true inflation but yes salaries have gone up.

Back