Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Buying Quality Running Shoes in Buenos Aires or Canada?

Harris

Hi everyone! In a few days, I'll be in Buenos Aires, and I need to buy new running shoes. For the runners here, I'd like to know if the quality of sports shoes in Buenos Aires is comparable to what I'd find in Canada, or if it would be better to buy them here first. I'm not concerned about the cost; I just want the best quality.

Better to buy them BEFORE you come here. There are a lot of taxes and fees here. Some shoes I saw there were double the price of back in the States. I'm not sure of prices in Canada vs. the USA but I can't imagine they would be too much more in Canada. Most likely much cheaper in Canada vs. Argentina.

Clothes and shoes here are pretty pricey. But if by "not worried about the price" you mean you're okay with shelling out two or three times more for the same brand and style, then you can definitely buy them in Buenos Aires. Just keep in mind that while you can find some of the same brands, they might cost quite a bit more than what you're used to in Canada. If you're looking for a wider selection and potentially better deals, you might want to consider buying them before your trip.

Aquí la ropa y los calzados se han vuelto un lujo. Desde hace mucho tiempo, algo tan común como comprar prendas se ha vuelto casi inaccesible. Por eso, los locales se las ingenian yendo a mayoristas o ferias americanas, que promueven la moda circular. Allí puedes encontrar ropa de marca a precios razonables, pero son prendas usadas. Por eso te recomendaría comprar en Canadá, donde encontrarás más variedad y opciones mejores.

From my experience, the quality here is quite poor. I’ve bought running shoes from Adidas twice at the Los Arcos outlet, and they only lasted a few months each time. It’s a shame because Adidas used to fit me well, but now I’m switching brands. When I used to buy shoes in the U.S., I never had this problem.

Yes, just as @Uncle Wong says, the textile industry here has a heavy tax burden, with taxes reaching up to 50% of the final price. So many taxes make dressing up almost a luxury. That’s why every time I travel to the U.S., I do my shopping there. Luckily, I travel quite often, so I’d recommend you buy all your clothes and shoes in your country.

From my experience, the quality here is quite poor. I’ve bought running shoes from Adidas twice at the Los Arcos outlet, and they only lasted a few months each time. It’s a shame because Adidas used to fit me well, but now I’m switching brands. When I used to buy shoes in the U.S., I never had this problem.
We also noticed this. We bought some shoes here for running also and after only some months the soles already have holes in them. I don't understand why as they appear to be genuine shoes but both my husband and I who are avid runners had the same thing happen. We also purchased them at Adidas in the outlet mall.

Shoes and clothes here are usually more expensive vs. States and Canada. The one exception might be if they are are on special discount and clearing it out to make room for new season. Or before when there was a bigger spread on the blue and white exchange rate. The import and VAT taxes are too high so usually these things are expensive here.

Many people complain about quality vs. USA. I'm not sure where they are getting these shoes. Probably they are all made in China but not sure why these aren't lasting as long as shoes purchased in the USA. I never buy shoes here. I wait until I go back to the US for annual trips and buy all my clothes or shoes there.

Here’s your answer: here we have the most expensive sneakers in the world.:confused:

The most expensive sneakers in the world: According to UBA (University of Buenos Aires), Argentina has the highest cost of living in the region and surpasses some European countries.

That’s why every time I travel to the USA or have a friend visit, I ask them to bring me sneakers and some clothes since they’re expensive here too. Dressing up has become a luxury for Argentinians.

I went to Boca Juniors vs San Lorenzo yesterday and asked our guide about buying shirts/swag on the streets near the stadium vs official Adidas gear. He said the Adidas gear would be higher quality but we could find it in the US cheaper than at the Adidas store in BA.

I went to Boca Juniors vs San Lorenzo yesterday and asked our guide about buying shirts/swag on the streets near the stadium vs official Adidas gear. He said the Adidas gear would be higher quality but we could find it in the US cheaper than at the Adidas store in BA.
Ha! That is crazy! Probably true as the import taxes here are totally crazy. Most of the locals just buy fake ones.

Can anyone actually recommend a shop or type of shoe that will last say a year ? Like for someone who has no way to shop overseas and has accepted they will have to pay double the price but at least wants something that will last a year

Can anyone actually recommend a shop or type of shoe that will last say a year ? Like for someone who has no way to shop overseas and has accepted they will have to pay double the price but at least wants something that will last a year
@MickMolloy , I have bought shoes at the New Balance store in Palermo SoHo. Sometimes they have good discounts there. Still more expensive than the US but if you catch a good deal it’s not too bad. Same shoes you get in the States. Mine lasted long.

@MickMolloy , I have bought shoes at the New Balance store in Palermo SoHo. Sometimes they have good discounts there. Still more expensive than the US but if you catch a good deal it’s not too bad. Same shoes you get in the States. Mine lasted long.
Yes, they actually have some good deals here sometimes. My friend got some shoes here during her trip and she said they actually weren't too much more but there was a big 40% discount.

My go-to brand for quality and durability is always Nike. I recently shopped at this site, and they have discounts right now with a variety of brands to choose from.

Another question since I've never bought shoes in latina America before my shoes have a Brazilian size on the tag. How does this compare to Argentina size ? How can I know what size shoes I need

Back