Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Carriages Market - Gourmet Stroll

Cariba

Administrator
Staff member

Carriage Market: a gourmet walk with a healthy and sustainable imprint​

Located in Retiro, it has 4,200 square meters and is part of the Historical Heritage of the City. It houses more than 40 commercial stores that sell national and international products.

The Carriage Market, located at 852 Leandro N. Alem Av., historically the property of the "Presidential Garages” from the 19th and early 20th centuries, it has 4,200 square meters and is part of the Historical Heritage of the City. It houses more than 40 commercial premises that sell national and international products.

"The Carriage Market means a lot not only for its architecture, but also for the value of the investment made in an area of the City that suffered a lot from the pandemic such as the downtown area," he stated , which places it on the same level as other internationally renowned gourmet markets. From the Government, it is a priority to support this type of initiatives to reactivate the City's economy," the minister remarked.its extensive gastronomic offering, Minister of Economic Development and Production of the City. "It also has another value which is José Luis Giusti

Those who want to visit the Carriage Market can do so on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to midnight. The building has two floors and a terrace with ornamental and vertical gardens. On the ground floor, there is the shopping promenade, while on the first floor and the terrace, establishments from different areas coexist, such as a delicatessen, craft brewery, wine cellar, restaurants, among others.

1702497263162.jpeg

Some of the places that can be found are El Club De Las Flores, Maldini, Tino's, De Cosecha, Gontran Cherrier, San Ginés, Cabrales, Picá, Cachafaz, Pampanada/Vermuteando, Vico, Maldini, L'Amouse Bouche, Summa , Amazonia, San Gines, La Cabrera, Nozomi, Maldini and Luis Pasteur. The history of the Market

In its beginnings, it was originally intended to be the “Presidential Garage”, where the carriages used by the presidents were kept. Then, over the years, it continued to be used as a garage for the fleet of cars of the Presidency of the Nation.

1702497315296.jpeg

The original construction was at the end of the 19th century and was carried out by the architect Emilio Agrelo who made it with San Isidro bricks, in the style Italian, and was inaugurated in 1900.

Because it is a historic property, the conservation of the building's envelope plays a unique role, complementing Tres Sargentos Street with its neighbor, the former power plant of the Compañía Ítalo Argentina de Electricidad (CIADE). Both buildings make up a small set of distinctive nineteenth-century characteristics of the City.

1702497382999.jpeg

In this sense, the façade, which is historical heritage, was preserved and restored. In turn, the stained glass windows, the cedar wood frames, the original bronzes, its vaulted recess and the typical bricks of the building were highlighted. In the main entrance hall, the original majolicas were repaired and replaced, and the Paris stone plaster was also restored to be identical to that of 1900.

1702496776044.jpeg

If you want to see everything the Carriage Market has to offer, go to their instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/mercadodeloscarruajes/

📍Location: 852 Alejandro N. Alem Av., Retiro

I was there last weekend, the place is amazing although very crowded but nothing out of this world, I could walk around the whole place and try their delicacies, I recommend the place "San Gines" there I tried the best churros! I share a photo for you to be tempted :)

1702497834973.jpeg

Back