Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Cathedral la Plata - huge and beautiful

UneYoug

The Cathedral of La Plata is a magnificent exponent of neo-Gothic, inspired by the Cathedral of Amiens France and the C. of Cologne Germany. Built entirely of brick, it has 2 lateral towers, the Tower of Jesus and the Tower of Mary, 112 meters high, rising towards the sky, accompanied by 200 pinnacles and 800 spires. The gargoyles are incredible! They represent all animals of the area, and can be seen going up an elevator located in one of the towers. In the basement there is a huge museum, where you can see the model, gargoyles, and photos of the construction period of this beautiful work. Another interesting detail is that it can be seen from the square in all its magnitude. Located in the foundational axis of the city, it is an architectural marvel that deserves to have time to visit it.

Recommended if you are in La Plata and want to know a bit of Argentine history.

1706873118285.png1706873176367.png

The Cathedral of La Plata is a magnificent exponent of neo-Gothic, inspired by the Cathedral of Amiens France and the C. of Cologne Germany. Built entirely of brick, it has 2 lateral towers, the Tower of Jesus and the Tower of Mary, 112 meters high, rising towards the sky, accompanied by 200 pinnacles and 800 spires. The gargoyles are incredible! They represent all animals of the area, and can be seen going up an elevator located in one of the towers. In the basement there is a huge museum, where you can see the model, gargoyles, and photos of the construction period of this beautiful work. Another interesting detail is that it can be seen from the square in all its magnitude. Located in the foundational axis of the city, it is an architectural marvel that deserves to have time to visit it.

Recommended if you are in La Plata and want to know a bit of Argentine history.

View attachment 2060View attachment 2061
I heard about this church. Could you share the location? Are there guided tours? From the pictures it looks like a beautiful and historic place to visit the next time you are in Argentina!

I heard about this church. Could you share the location? Are there guided tours? From the pictures it looks like a beautiful and historic place to visit the next time you are in Argentina!
There are 2 type of guided tours. A guided tour of all the city of la Plata that cost sort of 150 dollars anda other tours of only the church that cost 2 dollars! You can also go on your own as I did and spend an afternoon walking around.

If you are with family I will recomend you the guided tour of the city this way you can tour with sense and spend an afternoon there.

Beautiful and incredible place. Recommendation, enter the museum and elevator. Value for tourists is 2000, can be a visit without a guide. You learn about history, architecture and so on. The view and the cathedral are wonderful.

There is also a cathedral in Buenos Aires. The one where President Milei was.

Back