Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Choripan in BA

pink

Hello everyone,

My husband and I will be visiting Buenos Aires in a week and among our plans is a gastronomic tour, we already know that Buenos Aires is very famous for its food. We have heard about choripan and how tasty it is, we are still not sure what this food is made of haha but we want to try it! I hope you share your experiences!

Thanks

Hi pink,

Choripan is a traditional Argentinean asado sandwich made of grilled sausage and bread. It is usually eaten at the beginning of the asado, as a starter. It goes very well with chimichurri, salsa criolla or provenzal.

The origin of the local choripán dates back to the 19th century, when the gauchos in rural areas prepared asados and started the habit of eating the chorizo between two loaves of bread. Later, this tradition reached urban areas, becoming today a typical dish in Argentina.

It is currently considered one of the ten favorite dishes of Argentines. It can be eaten in street stalls, particularly in street carts located at the gates of popular festivals in any region of the country. It is estimated that in Argentina about 600 million choripanes are consumed per year, at an average of 15 per person.

1701956359483.jpeg

A few moths ago, the choripán, the typical Argentinean food, was named one of the five best sandwiches in the world.
Places to try Choripan in Buenos Aires:

CHORI

The choripanería al paso is located in the Buenos Aires neighborhoods of Palermo and Mataderos. As well as in La Plata.

This place offers more than ten options. Among them, for those who are vegetarians and choose to eat: eggplant paste, spinach, goat cheese, honey and smoked cheese.

For the classics, there is the typical choripán de cancha with chimichurri, among others.

📍Location: 1653 Thames St, Palermo

EL DESNIVEL

This is a classic bodegón with grill, which has become an institution in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of San Telmo.

The asado, the vacío and the bondiola characterize the place, although the alternative of the choripán or meat sandwich of your choice is a real eye-catcher.

📍Location: 855 Defensa St, San Telmo

LA CABRERA

This grilled meat restaurant was three years in a row among the 50 best restaurants in Latin America. Beyond the delivery service, diners can go to José Antonio Cabrera 5127 or simply to the "Choribondi", an idea on wheels that travels to different places.

The food truck is a rolling grill that travels to different events, fairs and exhibitions.

📍Location: 5127 Cabrera St, Palermo

SOLOMIA PARRILLA

This is one of the first parrillas in Núñez, since 2004, which stands out for its harmonious and neat fusion between classic and modern.

The Chori Chipa, for example, is homemade chorizo sausage on cheese bread with salsa criolla or chimichurri dip, both ideal sauces since they don't overshadow the flavor of the meat and highlight the flavor of the bread.

According to its owners, quality stands out when thinking about bread. For them, the cheese flavor is the perfect combination. They also recommend the butterfly cut, which is cooked with medium heat on both sides.

📍Location: 1699 Quesada St, Nuñez

LA DORITA

This traditional grill with more than fifteen years in the Buenos Aires scene has five branches: Puerto Madero, Palermo Botánico, Palermo Hollywood and Belgrano.

All of its premises are reminiscent of the typical porteño bodegones with decorative details that make it a relaxed space.

There, the most popular dish is its Choricampi, a sausage wrapped in homemade country dough served with creole sauce and chimichurri.

📍Location: 1982 Humboldt St , Palermo
📍Location:2593 Bulnes St , Palermo (Botánico)
📍Location:2130 Ciudad e La Paz St , Belgrano

For the porteños the best place to try choripan is at the carts along the waterfront in Puerto Madero.
Each stand has its own specialty and unique style, so exploring the waterfront carts can be a fascinating gastronomic experience. In addition, the presence of these carts contributes to the local economy and cultural identity of the region.

I hope you enjoy the best choripan in town!

buyer beware, Le Cabrera is a very bad tourist trap
I agree with Betsy Ross I have not had bad luck with beef. Quite the contrary, I travel all over South America and I think they have the best beef. Brazil also is very good but very expensive. What did you have at La Cabrera? I only go there also when they have the 40% off before 8 PM but as mentioned there is a long line. Usually we will just stop by and put our name on the list and then come back right at 6 PM when they open their doors.

I think best value for the money is La Choza de Gascon. Good service and very inexpensive. I agree about salads. I don't eat salads except at really nice places or gourmet type food like Picaron. But Buenos Aires has some amazing restaurants so not sure where you are eating but when I first moved to Buenos Aires in 2002 there was not much variety of food besides steak, pasta, pizza but now there are TONS of great places.

buyer beware, Le Cabrera is a very bad tourist trap
It is very expensive for local standards. Most locals go on special occasions and only when it's happy hour as mentioned above. There are other better places but I saw your other post about bad beef. That is funny to hear. If you can't find a good steak in Argentina you are best to leave my country. If you can't find a good steak than it's my belief you can't find anything. You may be blind and have no taste buds!

I went to Chori in Palermo Soho and loved it. I just noticed it on a list someone mentioned

I ate there and really loved it. Simple but delicious with a lot of flavor.

A place on the corner of my street sells a double sized choripan, large fries and 500ml coke for 3200 pesos. Just the drink would cost more back home. It seems like as the national food choripan is immune to inflation price extortions
I totally agree with you @MickMolloy. I think there is a limit to the inflation that places can charge for the locals. One thing I noticed is if it's a touristy type place and they can depend on foreigners, then they will keep pushing to raise prices and won't stop. Look at Don Julio. They are over $100 USD for some steaks which seems crazy to pay here in Buenos Aires. But kudos to them for charging as high a price as tourists are willing to spend. I will go by there and see if there are still lines. From a business perspective, they should keep raising prices until there are not big lines. If they can get those prices, all the power to them. But I won't spend that much on a steak there.

In the USA as you mentioned, most places a soda is more than the cost of all that food you mentioned. You must be in an area that isn't that touristy. In much of Palermo or Recoleta it would be much higher than you are paying.

I also noticed that with service providers like massages and some salons there is a limit to how much they can raise their prices. Prices kept going up but I'm paying the same for a massage (10,000 pesos) that I paid last year for a massage. I just think if they raise it any more than that, locals will stop going and find someone cheaper.

So the trick is finding places that aren't too touristy and you can find good deals. 3,200 pesos for a double-sized Choripan, large fries and a coke for $3 USD is amazing value!

What did you have there?
just realized i never responded to you and @earlyretirement on this thread. if you sort on Google by 1-star reviews, you'll see La Cabrera is overpriced and horrible food, that seems to only keep getting business because of its notoriety/brand

this sums-up the crap meat and bad service, but there are several other reviews from disappointed people, both Expats and locals: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wa28iQ6f8QS1ttRn6

just realized i never responded to you and @earlyretirement on this thread. if you sort on Google by 1-star reviews, you'll see La Cabrera is overpriced and horrible food, that seems to only keep getting business because of its notoriety/brand

this sums-up the crap meat and bad service, but there are several other reviews from disappointed people, both Expats and locals: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wa28iQ6f8QS1ttRn6
I definitely don't dispute your bad experience. I know we don't know one another and we only chatted on the phone for the initial consultation but you strike me as organized, honest and straight to the point. I have been going to La Cabrera for years but I don't go anymore unless it's the 40% off and we almost always get the same waiter that has been there for many years. That may or may not make a difference. But one thing that a local friend told me recently is that many businesses give tourists more left over vs. better quality. I'm not sure I buy this at all but then again you never know these days.

I think that during these tough times, places that are traditionally good skimp out and use lower quality and cheaper products. That may or may not be happening at La Cabrera. To be honest, before this last time we went this summer it was a while since we didn't come during COVID at all. I think no place is always 100% but I'd definitely skip a place that has a lot of bad reviews.

I will maintain to probably stick to places that don't depend on mainly tourist clientele.

I've only been to La Cabrera once many years ago and I remember they had this gimmick where they would give you many different sauces in little tiny bowls with your steak. Do they still do that?

It was actually quite brilliant because all the expats I knew thought it was the greatest thing ever and made the over priced experience worth it while it probably cost the restaurant about $3 in sauces lol

I've only been to La Cabrera once many years ago and I remember they had this gimmick where they would give you many different sauces in little tiny bowls with your steak. Do they still do that?

It was actually quite brilliant because all the expats I knew thought it was the greatest thing ever and made the over priced experience worth it while it probably cost the restaurant about $3 in sauces lol
Yes! They still do this. I'm not a big steak eater but we came here last week for the 40% discount. I went with friends and they enjoyed their meal. They had a lot of good appetizers and my friends all loved the chorizo and proveleta and they enjoyed their meals. They said it was much much cheaper than the USA and Europe where my other friends live. Yes, there were many sauces that my friends loved and they asked for more which they happily brought. Almost all of the restaurant at that time were all tourists from other countries.

Almost all of the restaurant at that time were all tourists from other countries.
i'm not sure locals go to La Cabrera, and not just because it's expensive. the salad i got was Butter Lettuce at room-temperature, with powdered Kraft parmesan "cheese" doused all over it. it was the worst salad i've ever had. and the steaks were bad. and the service was sh*t. the wine was 8000 Pesos for a bottle, and we somehow chose the best one...it was amazing! a malbec/cab blend. wish i had a photo of the label; haven't had as good of wine since then.
many different sauces
yes, and the waiter didn't explain them. one was cold mushrooms. the other one was hot applesauce. it was weird as hell, and i had no idea if i was supposed to dip the bread in them, or wait until the meat. service was really bad.

we almost always get the same waiter that has been there for many years. That may or may not make a difference.
for sure that's it...you're a local celebrity! bahahah wear a disguise and come out with me and see how they treat you :p

also of note, there are 2 locations of La Cabrera on the same street. i attempted to add the 2nd one to Google Maps, and even though i've added dozens of places and left hundreds of accurate reviews, it didn't "trust" me and hid it.

now go to Google Maps and try to find the corner location (not the one mid-street to the North). it isn't there! but here it is is you manually go to the link i created: https://maps.app.goo.gl/idQZzUgkH1mWdYjR7

(i labeled it "Happy Hour Location" to differentiate)

Back