Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Delays, cancellations and thousands of passengers affected by the force measure carried out by La Fraternidad - Infobae

All the Answers

Delays, cancellations and thousands of passengers affected by the force measure carried out by La Fraternidad: the trains circulate at 30 kilometers per hour - Infobae​

1717085390621.png

Source:

May 30, 2024

As a result of this protest, travel time on metropolitan lines doubles. The railway workers demand a salary improvement, and have already announced a strike for next June 4

Delays and complications due to the measure of force of the La Fraternidad union

As it had been ratified this Wednesday, the La Fraternidad Union carries out the force measure scheduled for this Thursday, May 30 , after a salary agreement was not reached with the railway companies. For this reason, the formations of metropolitan train lines circulate at a maximum of 30 kilometers per hour , which causes important complications, including doubling travel time. In addition, the union confirmed that next Tuesday, June 4, there will be a total stoppage of activities .

Through a press release issued yesterday, the union reported that the hearing organized by the Ministry of Labor, Employment and Social Security did not have positive results, because they rejected the proposal offered by the business representatives.

In response to the request to increase salaries by a percentage in line with the growth in inflation in recent months, the railway companies proposed granting a 2% increase corresponding to the April payment, followed by the remaining 7% that would be applied in the May settlement. Likewise, the payment plan established that both percentages would be paid together with the June salaries.

“We are not willing to give away the salaries of the railway workers ,” the organization stated when ratifying that the “Struggle Plan” will continue in progress. In this way, they indicated that the force measure will consist of applying a speed limit both in the formations intended for the transport of passengers and in those used for the transfer of cargo.

1717085505190.png

The union confirmed the cessation of activities for next Tuesday, June 4 (La Fraternidad)

Consequently, the formations of the Roca, Belgrano Sur, San Martín, Mitre, Sarmiento and Tren de la Costa lines circulate this Thursday at a maximum of 30 km/h, which generates complications and long delays for the thousands of passengers who They usually travel on metropolitan railways.

“#TrenRoca #TrenBelgranoSur #TrenSanMartín #TrenMitre #TrendelaCosta #TrenSarmiento circulate with delays and cancellations due to a measure of union strength by La Fraternidad ,” says a tweet published this morning by Trenes Argentinos.

Faced with this scenario, the platforms of the main stations of the lines affected by the force measure were packed with passengers awaiting the arrival of the formations.

Asked about her opinion regarding the measure of force carried out by the La Fraternidad union, a passenger who was at the Lanús station on the Roca train said that “the workers are always against it.” And in dialogue with the TN news channel , she added: “I am a domestic worker. Now I have to do a procedure, I stop working to go and I waste time because if I had to go to work at noon, now I can't. "I don't know what time I'm going to arrive . "

1717085538454.png
1717085549851.png
The Constitución train station, this morning (Photo: Maximiliano Luna)

1717085570389.png
Thousands of passengers are affected by the force measure of the La Fraternidad union, which demands a salary increase.
Given the lack of responses, the union deepened the claim by announcing that next Tuesday, June 4, a total cessation of activities will take place. However, the Government has already agreed on a new hearing for June 6 at 11 a.m., with the aim of reaching a conciliation between the parties.

Secretary General Omar Marturano pointed out: “We do not want a salary increase, we want to match inflation,” during an interview he gave on Sunday night to the A24 channel . He even exposed the difficulties and security deficiencies they suffered in recent months due to the lack of state investment.

There is no investment or policy for the railway mode. "We work without supplies, sometimes tying some objects with wire and that's how we leave with the trains," denounced the union representative, pointing out: "And I would give it a synonym, that we are working with low safety conditions." In parallel, they claimed that there was a 59% cut in the railway budget since Javier Milei took office and that this generated impediments in the purchase of basic supplies so that the lines of the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area (AMBA) function regularly.

Prior to this, the leader had denounced a similar situation after the train crash on the San Martín Line in Palermo occurred . On that occasion, the accident occurred between a locomotive and an empty car that were stopped on the track and a unit that was transporting about 90 passengers.

1717085605659.png
The train crash on the San Martín line caused more than 60 people to be injured (EFE)
According to Marturano in a conversation with Radio 10 , the driver who was carrying the people had received the signal that the lane was free, but the presence of the other formation had not been detected because the signaling system was not working.

“We have been working like this for 10 days because the signaling cables are stolen, we have been demanding that they be repaired but there are no spare parts. There is a total degradation of the company. There are no spare parts for signals but not for trains either,” he claimed, indicating that, in any case, the driver was traveling with caution due to a protocol applied to deal with this type of situation.

In this sense, the union member denounced that "there is no budget for electric shocks, we have 60 stopped Chinese locomotives that were purchased new." In the same way, he pointed out that the signaling area and the workshops suffered an impact due to the dismissal of some of the personnel in those sectors.

La Fraternidad's measure is the second this year, since on February 21 there was a total stoppage of activities also to obtain an improvement in salaries. On that occasion, an agreement was reached for the payment of debts for attendance bonuses and for Railway Day with Trenes Argentinos–SOFSE and Belgrano Cargas y Logística.

Back