Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Delta Unplugged Trip Report

blessing

Leading up to our trip, we came across numerous reviews of Delta Unplugged, but finding an unbiased overview of the tour proved challenging. With a price tag of $150 USD per person, having a clear understanding of what to expect is only fair.

BASIC DETAILS: Delta Unplugged is operated by a couple, Ralph and Ana. After reaching out via email, Ana took charge of coordinating our tour. The group size is limited to 8 people for a single party or 6 people for multiple groups. We communicated our food allergies, and the menu was adjusted accordingly.

GETTING STARTED: Access to Ana and Ralph's house is exclusively by boat. While past reviews mentioned it was the guest's responsibility to arrange transportation, they now take care of it by arranging a water taxi at their expense. In our case, since it was just my wife and me on the tour, Ana personally picked us up. The designated pick-up point is Avenida Santiago de Liners, and an Uber from Belgrano C station cost 10,000 ARS. The boat ride takes approximately 15 minutes.

BREAKFAST: Embarking on the tour, we commenced with a leisurely hour at their charming yet rustic abode. Amidst an array of homemade breads, jams, and tea, a genuine exchange unfolded, fostering a sense of camaraderie. Ana and Ralph, with over 12 years of experience, effortlessly orchestrated this introductory ritual, leaving an impression of authenticity and sincerity. Their evident passion for their work set the stage for a personalized and delightful journey, reminiscent of reuniting with long-lost college friends.

THE TIGRE DELTA: Ana delved into the rich history and delicate ecosystem of the Tigre Delta, unraveling the intricate interplay between the river and the ocean during high water. She eloquently narrated the tale of the delta's past life as a hub for agro-industry and its contemporary renaissance as a weekend retreat for affluent Porteños. This narrative provided a contextual framework for our upcoming exploration and added coherence to the sights we would encounter. As a self-professed map enthusiast (courtesy of Ken Jennings' Maphead!), I was thoroughly pleased; Ana had an abundance of maps, skillfully illustrating our current location and the route ahead.

THE BOAT: The boat left a positive impression on me. It struck a perfect balance – spacious enough to afford everyone their personal space, yet compact and agile, navigating the narrow, winding rivers where larger vessels and colectivos couldn't venture. Its low draft allowed for a unique experience; while my wife enjoyed the view from cushioned seats, I perched on the gunwale, letting my feet dangle in the warm water. Wide-brimmed sunhats were provided, along with mosquito repellent, although bugs were not a concern while in motion.

THE RIDE: Ralph skillfully piloted the boat, adopting a leisurely pace to allow us to fully absorb the beauty of the river and its lush surroundings. Despite being a Sunday, river traffic was minimal. Ana discreetly captured the journey with her camera and later shared a zip file containing 200 pictures capturing every imaginable detail. After meandering through the intimate rivers for about an hour and a half, we reached the expansive Parana River – a breathtaking sight reminiscent of 19th-century humanistic oil paintings, where the sun gleams off the water.

SCENERY: Contrary to some reviewers, I found the scenery ever-changing and far from monotonous. Every few seconds revealed a new and captivating vista. I could have extended the journey without a hint of boredom.

LUNCH: Anchoring under a leafy tree along a river bend, we enjoyed a delightful lunch prepared by Ralph right on the boat. The spread included steak, empanadas, a veggie plate with homemade dipping sauces, figs wrapped in lomo, assorted breads, fruit skewers, and a Swiss-style potato dish (whose name escapes me). It was a generous serving, accompanied by wine, beer, and water. While I won't claim it was the best meal of the entire trip, considering the setting, it undoubtedly surpassed any other culinary experience we had.

RETURN: The return journey took a different river and lasted about an hour. Back at the house, we indulged in homemade ice cream and mate, sparking an intriguing discussion on the cultural significance of mate in Argentina. This cultural immersion added depth to the trip, revealing insights that only emerge through meaningful discussions. We were then transported back to the mainland, arriving at 5:45.

SWIMMING: Prior to the trip, I inquired about the possibility of swimming, and Ana confirmed that I could swim right off their pier. To my surprise, the brown water was cleaner than expected, with no residue – just pleasantly warm water. For those yearning for a swim, it's an opportunity worth seizing.

WAS IT WORTH IT?: Despite the initial uncertainty over the $150 USD per person cost, the experience exceeded our expectations and justified the price. While it might seem pricey, especially in Argentina, the unique and irreplaceable nature of the adventure made it money well spent. Without a doubt, it was a 100% worthwhile experience that will linger in our memories for years to come.

I am extremely thankful for your detailed travel report on Delta Unplugged.

We went on their tour twice in the pre-Covid era: once just my husband and me, and another year with our friends, a couple from France (yes, food enthusiasts). We all agreed that it was well worth the cost.

You vividly captured all the elements of the trip that you describe, bringing the memories back to us as we sit in the cold and snow in Washington D.C. Thank you very much.

Thank you, this is an excellent report to peruse. It also underscores that the most enriching travel experiences occur when you can delve deep into the essence of a place and engage one-on-one with the locals. The value of such interactions is immeasurable. To me, travel is about gaining insights into a country through its people. If we had the opportunity during our trip, I would have thoroughly enjoyed this aspect as well.

Thank you so much for this thorough account. It appears to be an incredible tour. My husband and I took a day trip to the Tigre Delta just over a year ago and instantly fell in love with the area. We spent a few hours in the town of Tigre and then embarked on a group boat tour in the Delta for a couple of hours. Yours sounds significantly more captivating from a cultural perspective. We are returning to Argentina for two months in a couple of weeks, and this time we plan to spend four nights in Tigre and the Delta (one night in the town of Tigre and three in a rental house further out in the Delta). Your description has heightened my excitement for the upcoming journey!

Back