Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Dengue tests

S

Sunny

Expats without prepaga may find this info useful.

A couple of days ago we decided to find out how much a dengue test cost. We went to a couple of labs in Belgrano. There are four dengue tests and they can be done without a doc's order (but one needs to know which test makes sense to get).

First we went to Laboratorio Maipú, on Av. Cabildo. They gave us a printout. Then we went to Centralab, on Sucre. Here are the prices:

IMG_9733.jpeg

At both labs we were told that one usually needs one or two of these tests. There are two more labs we want to visit, one in Almagro and one in Colegiales. I'll post again when I get their prices.

Expats without prepaga may find this info useful.

A couple of days ago we decided to find out how much a dengue test cost. We went to a couple of labs in Belgrano. There are four dengue tests and they can be done without a doc's order (but one needs to know which test makes sense to get).

First we went to Laboratorio Maipú, on Av. Cabildo. They gave us a printout. Then we went to Centralab, on Sucre. Here are the prices:

View attachment 5431

At both labs we were told that one usually needs one or two of these tests. There are two more labs we want to visit, one in Almagro and one in Colegiales. I'll post again when I get their prices.
Thank you!

Those prices seem reasonable for expats but I'm sure they are expensive for locals. Is this just if you feel bad? @Sunny did you inquire as you weren't feeling well? Or are people getting these if they have a lot of mosquito bites?
The prices are reasonable for expats, I'd say dirt cheap, even. I think I'll also ask how much they charge for regular blood tests (like we are supposed to do annually), to compare.

I inquired because we both have been getting daily headaches for a couple of weeks now. It could be dehydration, though. We know that we are not drinking as much water as we used to, probably because it's been so ridiculously humid the past couple of weeks, don't know. Recurrent headache is a dengue symptom, and we both are getting them, but we don't have any of the other symptoms (skin rash, digestive problems, fever, muscle pain, etc.)

I wouldn't know if people are getting these tests just because of the mosquito bites, probably not.

The prices are reasonable for expats, I'd say dirt cheap, even. I think I'll also ask how much they charge for regular blood tests (like we are supposed to do annually), to compare.

I inquired because we both have been getting daily headaches for a couple of weeks now. It could be dehydration, though. We know that we are not drinking as much water as we used to, probably because it's been so ridiculously humid the past couple of weeks, don't know. Recurrent headache is a dengue symptom, and we both are getting them, but we don't have any of the other symptoms (skin rash, digestive problems, fever, muscle pain, etc.)

I wouldn't know if people are getting these tests just because of the mosquito bites, probably not.
My brother came down with Dengue when he was visiting me a few years ago here in Brazil. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. He was very sick. It is good and wise to get tested to make sure. Blood tests are usually very affordable here in Latin America compared to the States. His started out with constant headaches. I hope the tests all came back negative.

My brother came down with Dengue when he was visiting me a few years ago here in Brazil. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. He was very sick. It is good and wise to get tested to make sure. Blood tests are usually very affordable here in Latin America compared to the States. His started out with constant headaches. I hope the tests all came back negative.
I heard a record # of deaths in Brazil this year. It seems like it is worse there.

Thanks for sharing @Sunny. I hope you are feeling better and I trust the report came back negative. It's a horrible year for Dengue around South America. I have a friend that had it and said it was very painful. I have never been looking forward more to a cold spell to hopefully get rid of these mosquitos.

Back