Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Dining with a live show

MirelJeffer

Together with my travel companion, we decided to try this charming Argentine restaurant on our first night in Argentina. It is a small but very popular place, with a casual bohemian touch, located in the trendy Palermo Soho area. When we arrived around 8 p.m. on a Friday, the place was already bustling with life.

The hostess kindly greeted us at the entrance and explained the cost of the package, which included a glass of one of the house wines, and seemed quite reasonable.

The tables were elegantly dressed with tablecloths, and the gastronomic offer was very varied. From tamales and humitas to exotic meats such as yacaré and llama, as well as vegetarian options. We opted to try the Locro, a thick stew with beef, pork, chorizo, bacon, squash, corn, beans and sweet potato, as well as the Humita en Cazuela, a sweet corn, onion and cheese cake. Both dishes were delicious.

During the evening, a captivating live show was performed on the small stage that included spoken poetry and folkloric singing accompanied by percussion instruments. From time to time, dancers joined in on the main floor to perform traditional folk dances. It is important to note that the show, service and menu are entirely in Spanish.

It was a fascinating cultural experience. The lights had a soft intensity, creating a calm and respectful atmosphere. If you are looking for a place to chat over dinner, this may not be the ideal place. But if you want to immerse yourself in Argentine style and enjoy authentic traditional food, it is definitely an excellent choice. It is worth mentioning that the restaurant is open only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Show...a-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html#

gets really great reviews on TripAdvisor
well, it has a lot of bad reviews, too, which all seem to say the same thing:
"Tourist trap / rip off
Went to this place with some US visitors. I knew this would be a “view for tourists”, but was worse than I expected: the food is not of high quality and is far from what you would describe as “typical “: e.g. their version of blood sausage has no resemblance to anything consumed by the locals, the “maicena alfajores” with chocolate cover(??!!!?!?) are not something you normally would have as dessert (at most as a snack and without the chocolate)... etc
In other words: it is “Argentine” because it is placed in Argentina and the meals have some resemblance to the original ones.
If you want the Argentine experience go to some nice restaurant, make some local friends and you will get something more genuine and save a lot of money
."

i always wonder about this. like, would my parents since they haven't traveled much, have a good time at this type of event, just because it is expensive and they had fun? (because they don't often go to events or pay for things). because i'm immediately turned-off by touristy stuff...i want the real-deal!

Back