Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Do you think the arrival of digital nomads and expats is gentrifying Argentina?

demon

I’ve heard many opinions on this, but the one that resonates with me the most is from some locals who believe that our arrival, as I include myself as a digital nomad here, has a negative impact on the economy, particularly on housing prices. I think the influx of remote workers earning in dollars or euros has sparked a debate. I believe something similar is happening in Spain.

Oh yes! I’ve heard about this issue, and it seems to be a problem across Latin America. Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil are facing the same challenge, and now it's happening in Spain too. However, I don't think it's entirely true; I believe it has more to do with local policies.

I think things are worse in Spain because the government isn’t taking the necessary measures to regulate this situation. This girl seems very upset, and I understand her; she had to move to another city because she couldn’t afford the rent due to the high costs. Although she blames digital nomads entirely, I disagree. They just need to manage these issues better to avoid harming the locals.

Misplaced blame. Argentina is in a world of hurt and they could use all the tourists and digital nomads that they can get. There is enough housing here to support locals plus digital nomads. In fact, the locals mostly could never afford the furnished properties that these owners have on the market. It's a totally different market and BA is a huge city.

Back