Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Does Buenos Aires celebrate Carnival like Rio de Janeiro? How big is the celebration?

You will be severely disappointed if you try to compare the two. Buenos Aires's is NOTHING like Rio de Janeiro so you were spoiled.

The City's official website here:

Saturdays in February: 4, 11, 18, 25. 8 PM to 2 AM

Sundays in February: 5, 12, 19, 26. : 8 PM to 12 AM

Closing Ceremony of Festival on Av. de Mayo: February 21st, from 3 PM to 10 PM

And plan ahead as Monday and Tuesday of Carnival are holidays (February 12 and 13, 2024) so banking offices and Western Union are closed. And maybe some money exchange firms will be open but some might be closed.

Most barrios have some sort of celebrations which will mean street closures some nights during the carnival season.

The typical barrio will have its own "murga" described as a festival of song, dance and percussion. Compared to Rio its a tuneless mess lacking in style and pzazz - can you tell I have never been impressed?

I dislike crticising for the sake of it but playing big drums as loud as possible , doesnt do very much for me.

Most barrios have some sort of celebrations which will mean street closures some nights during the carnival season.

The typical barrio will have its own "murga" described as a festival of song, dance and percussion. Compared to Rio its a tuneless mess lacking in style and pzazz - can you tell I have never been impressed?

I dislike crticising for the sake of it but playing big drums as loud as possible , doesnt do very much for me.
Yes! Like you, I tell it like it is John. I have an apartment to Rio and been there several times. I was laughing when some locals told me "they celebrate Carival just like Rio". I laughed and told them this is nothing here at all. As you mentioned, a "tuneless mess lacking in style and prazz". I love it!

Like you, I was never impressed. Even if you've never been to Rio's, I doubt you'd be impressed here with "Carnival Buenos Aires style".

Back