Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Does Buenos Aires have homeless shelters?

Digital Nomad

I was reading this article below about how Uruguay will bring people to homeless shelters. I know in many major cities in the USA we have homeless shelters. I am seeing more homeless on the streets in Buenos Aires. It made me wonder. Does Buenos Aires have homeless shelters that people that don't have any money can go live in when it's cold out?

Yes! Homeless shelters have always existed, and I've read that a new outreach program has been launched that will not only assist them during the winter but throughout the whole year.

This is great to hear. I was wondering about this so good to hear that there are indeed shelters to house them.

Yes! Homeless shelters have always existed, and I've read that a new outreach program has been launched that will not only assist them during the winter but throughout the whole year.

Not sure if the homeless know about the program. I sure notice a big increase in people sleeping on the streets these days. Hopefully they will bring awareness to the homeless.

Until recently, I heard that many homeless individuals opt to live on the streets instead of going to shelters. From what I've read, this is because they resist following the rules and schedules set in shelters. Hopefully, with this program, some things will change.

Until recently, I heard that many homeless individuals opt to live on the streets instead of going to shelters. From what I've read, this is because they resist following the rules and schedules set in shelters. Hopefully, with this program, some things will change.
The same thing happens in many shelters around the world. In Canada many don't allow alcohol or drug use or don't allow pets and many have pets. I personally never understood how a homeless can afford a pet if they can't afford to live themselves.

I sure notice a big increase in people sleeping on the streets these days.

This will change soon. I don't have the article at hand, but the government has kicked off a new program. They want the homeless of the streets. They will not allow people to set mattresses and sleep in public places.

This will change soon. I don't have the article at hand, but the government has kicked off a new program. They want the homeless of the streets. They will not allow people to set mattresses and sleep in public places.
This will be a big positive. I agree they shouldn't let homeless just put mattresses wherever they want. My sister has homeless that put their mattresses right next to the entrance of their building. They shouldn't allow this.

Back