Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Legal Dual citizen... how to enter Argentina?

mister

Hi -

I planning a trip to Argentina in the next few weeks. It will be my first time there.

I am a USA citizen and have a valid USA passport.

I just acquired Argentine citizenship and I have a DNI, but I do not yet have an Argentine passport. I plan to get one while in Buenos Aires.

When entering the country should I get in the line at the border for Argentine citizens and hand them my DNI and USA passport and explain that I am a citizen but don't yet have a passport?

I assume that should be OK and that I shouldn't have to pay the reciprocity fee, but maybe I should be getting in the non-citizen line instead?

Thanks for any hints about this.

If you have DNI, USA passport and fingerprints on file (since you are a citizen of Argentina your finger prints are on file) just go to the line and hand the agent your DNI and passport and she will take your thumb fingerprint to make sure it's a match. She will stamp your passport and you'll be on your way. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes between standing in line and getting your passport stamped.

Good luck!

Make sure you hand the Migration Authority your DNI first and second your US passport so they do not charge you reciprocity fee.

What colour is your DNI?

Now, Argentines with due Argentine passport are allow to use a second nationality passport.

@Ricrado : yes, my fingerprints were taken at the Argentine Consulate in LA and my DNI has a picture of my thumb print on the back of it. I dipped my fingers in ink at the consulate and I assume they digitized the fingerprints. Thanks for the information.

@Stela : I have a "nuevo DNI" -- it's just a card about the size of a US license, with a photo on it.

Thanks for information.

Also, once you are done with customs and on your way to exit EZE explore the possibility of getting your new argentine passport right at the airport. Look for the special booths. They will charge you a premium but you will leave the airport with a passport!! Pretty amazing for Argentina.

you're on the right track since you're thinking about it; always is the law to enter a country with that country's passport, if you are a citizen. so explaining it, and saying you will get your passport soon, should be the best bet. but maybe someone here can add some info (who has actually done it before)

Back