Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Due to the crisis, there are blocks-long lines for the vigil of San Cayetano

Chuck

I'm amazed at what faith and need can drive people to do. Amid the economic crisis, dozens of people gathered on Tuesday around the San Cayetano Sanctuary in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Liniers, waiting for the mass scheduled for Wednesday morning. They’re spending the night there, hoping for food and jobs. I’ve even heard that some have been there since Monday. From what I understand, every August 7th sees a large turnout of people asking for work, and some come just to give thanks for having it. This year, though, the turnout is surpassing expectations. I hope this brings some comfort to those who have lost their jobs due to the crisis.

1722968196014.png

Here, people are very religious. Just like the passion for soccer, there's also a deep devotion to the most popular saints. This one is especially significant because Argentina is going through a severe crisis with high unemployment. Hope is the last thing we lose.

Back