Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

'Eating is a luxury': Argentina inflation falls but shoppers still feel squeezed

Unfortunately a sad reality for many in Argentina! Can't afford to eat.

There you go again... Let's see... Where else are people complaining about high food prices and not being able to buy as much food as before???

54% of young Americans say food costs are the biggest strain on their finances (in the richest, most powerful country on Earth!)​

And

"I'm eating not as well, because I can't afford the food that I used to be able to buy," said Harper Gossard, another local resident.

Lots of people all over the world that are food insecure. Definitely more here and it is sad. But this problem is happening all over. It's not unique to Argentina.

There you go again... Let's see... Where else are people complaining about high food prices and not being able to buy as much food as before???

54% of young Americans say food costs are the biggest strain on their finances (in the richest, most powerful country on Earth!)​

And

"I'm eating not as well, because I can't afford the food that I used to be able to buy," said Harper Gossard, another local resident.

But you can't compare USA to here. Majority of people here are in poverty and starving. Yes in USA as all countries there are problems but you can't compare it to Argentina! Majority people here with no food or very little food.

And

Are you really going to try to compare the USA and some people hungry with Argentina with majority of the population hungry and below poverty line? I am speaking about all of Argentina not just some entitled expats. If you really are trying to just compare some hungry people in the States with the starving of a nation there are some issues there.

Argentina extends beyond the comfortable bubble of Palermo, Recoleta and Belgrano you know. Trying to compare a few hungry people in the States with Argentina is almost laughable.

And

To be fair many of the people complaining they are hungry In the USA are overweight! Look at some of these people that claim it and they are eating McDonalds or junk food everyday.

To be fair many of the people complaining they are hungry In the USA are overweight! Look at some of these people that claim it and they are eating McDonalds or junk food everyday.

And many of the people who claim to be poor in Argentina are not. That 50%-60% poverty rate that the opposition and the government talk about is based on official numbers. In this country, the official numbers only show what people declare, which is a percentage of what they really make. From the largest businesses, that cook the numbers like crazy, all the way down to the the maids who get paid cash and do not declare a cent of that income.

Argentina extends beyond the comfortable bubble of Palermo, Recoleta and Belgrano you know. Trying to compare a few hungry people in the States with Argentina is almost laughable.

I know Argentina and Argentines much better than you. And, based on your comment, it seems that I also know the US a lot more than you do. A few hungry people in the States? Are you for real, Larry?

Seriously, where are you from? Where do you live in Argentina? How long have you been here?

And many of the people who claim to be poor in Argentina are not. That 50%-60% poverty rate that the opposition and the government talk about is based on official numbers. In this country, the official numbers only show what people declare, which is a percentage of what they really make. From the largest businesses, that cook the numbers like crazy, all the way down to the the maids who get paid cash and do not declare a cent of that income.
So what % do you think are at the poverty rate?

I know Argentina and Argentines much better than you. And, based on your comment, it seems that I also know the US a lot more than you do. A few hungry people in the States? Are you for real, Larry?

Seriously, where are you from? Where do you live in Argentina? How long have you been here?
I don't argue that you know more about me about the US than me. I have been to the States many times but I am not a native from there. You can't compare poverty rates however with the US and Argentina. No where near even comparable. I live in Barrio Norte and I have been coming to BA since 2004 and living here off and on since 2006. How long have you lived in BA?

The poverty rate in the US when you look only says only 11.5%. Maybe it may be higher but the rate look stable each year. It is a lot of people but Argentina is in a desperate situation. People have to think that the country is far more than CABA. Much of the country people are very poor. Maybe they exaggerate the # but it is very high. Many people can't make it to the end of the month and struggle.

I don't think it healthy to compare USA and Argentina on this matter.

It doesn't matter what the percentage is. The point is that there are poor and hungry people all over the world, even in the richest countries.

Your posts are always about how bad things are in Argentina and how terrible everything is since Milei got elected. As if looking for and posting the most sensationalist articles were your favorite pastime. Or maybe you are afraid that Argentina becomes too expensive for you under the new government.

I can tell, but why wouldn't you say what your nationality is?

I wasn't comparing poverty rates, I was simply trying to make you see something you refuse to see. But what else is new?
I have seen @Larry's type here over the years. Expats that are doom and gloomers because they are afraid they won't be able to afford it if the economy keep improving. It is sad but many expats would rather Argentina be a struggling country as long as the blue dollar is strong and prices are cheap. Look back over the past decades and there are periods where it was cheap and periods were it was very expensive. Constantly being a gloom and doom type isn't healthy.

I have seen @Larry's type here over the years. Expats that are doom and gloomers because they are afraid they won't be able to afford it if the economy keep improving. It is sad but many expats would rather Argentina be a struggling country as long as the blue dollar is strong and prices are cheap. Look back over the past decades and there are periods where it was cheap and periods were it was very expensive. Constantly being a gloom and doom type isn't healthy.
Things continue to deteriorate here. Many of you try to always point a rosy picture of how things are since the election but this is far from reality. Crime is increasing, poverty is increasing. Over 100,000 people have lost their jobs in a few short months and it will get worse for the majority of people in Argentina. These are fact and can't be disputed. Every day things continue to go up in price. Things will get worse.

None of that is an actual fact. You seem to be living in some alternate reality. Your attitude would make sense if you were a K who's getting paid to lie but you say you are an expat. Why would an expat in Argentina speak the way you do, Larry? It doesn't make any sense at all.

If things in this country will get worse, why aren't you moving country like many expats have done recently? I mean, if you see nothing but trouble here, why stay? How is life in your own country, Larry?
I am just posting the truth. For some the truth hurts. Poverty is worse. Prices are sky high. I may very well be on my way out of Argentina if things deteriorate more than they have. Every day the crime is getting worse. Tensions are high and if social unrest happens as the economy gets worse I will leave Argentina. There are better countries including Peru that are more peaceful and much more affordable.

Nah, you are posting your truth, the truth of someone who can only afford living in dirt cheap countries and is bitter because he likes to live in a grand city but his budget says nope.

BTW, the fact that you won't reveal where you are from says that you are not proud of your country. That's sad. Oh, well...

Better??? Then maybe that's where you should be.
@Sunny totally agree with you. There are many expats like this in Buenos Aires over the years. They are doom and gloom and only came here because it was cheap. Once they can't afford it anymore they get angry. But eventually, most of them just end up leaving.

I am just posting the truth. For some the truth hurts. Poverty is worse. Prices are sky high. I may very well be on my way out of Argentina if things deteriorate more than they have. Every day the crime is getting worse. Tensions are high and if social unrest happens as the economy gets worse I will leave Argentina. There are better countries including Peru that are more peaceful and much more affordable.
If you think Peru is better why wait? Peru doesn't have anything on Argentina.

Nah, you are posting your truth, the truth of someone who can only afford living in dirt cheap countries and is bitter because he likes to live in a grand city but his budget says nope.

BTW, the fact that you won't reveal where you are from says that you are not proud of your country. That's sad. Oh, well...

Better??? Then maybe that's where you should be.
I think the same thing happened with a lot of bloggers. Argentina was "awesome and one of the best cities" last year. But once things got expensive many of them started saying it is way too expensive and started complaining. I think it's horrible that people only like a country or city when it's cheap for them. People need to be honest and admit if they are just chasing the cheapest place to live. Buenos Aires is so much more. I am loving this city more each day. Even if it gets really expensive I will love it.

Back