Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economist Magazine Lists Buenos Aires as the Best City to live in Latin America

Digital Nomad

Yep. Just saw this other article. Best city to live in South America.

Yep. Just saw this other article. Best city to live in South America.

Interesting that Montevideo was #2. Nice city but relatively boring there. I'm surprised Rio didn't make the top 5. Even Lima beat it.

So far I've been to all of these other cities listed and also Rio and São Paulo. Nothing comes even close to BA!

Montevideo = Small and boring. Nothing much to do at all.

Lima = Dumpy. Great food that is much better but besides great food the traffic is horrible here and the city isn't that great.

Santiago = Boring

São Paulo - I really don't get the appeal. Ugly city. Not really safe and traffic is horrible plus it's expensive.

Rio = Nice city, great beaches, great nightlife. Have to be careful with crime.

So far I've been to all of these other cities listed and also Rio and São Paulo. Nothing comes even close to BA!

Lima = Dumpy. Great food that is much better but besides great food the traffic is horrible here and the city isn't that great.

Santiago = Boring

São Paulo - I really don't get the appeal. Ugly city. Not really safe and traffic is horrible plus it's expensive.

Agree with your list. Rio for me is the most fun city. Buenos Aires is also great. You can do it all in BA.

Santiago = Boring

Yep. I also hate São Paulo. A friend got robbed there by gun. Several co-workers that are from there have bullet proof cars. On the contrary, I love Rio de Janeiro. Naturally beautiful city. Laid back people. Great food, great beaches.

But agree with The Economist that Buenos Aires is the top city in South America. Not even a close race.

I have not been to Rio but visited the other cities. Buenos Aires was by far my favorite. They only listed South America in this article but I have seen some lists with Buenos Aires making the best city in Latin America. I also find Mexico City to be a great city although it has become very expensive now in nice areas.

BA definitely deserves to be at the top. No city comes close.

Absolutely there is a reason that Buenos Aires consistently ranks on The Economist as the best city to live in Latin America.

Back