Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Eight out of ten professionals consider that they were unable to rebuild their income due to the effect of inflation - Infbae

All the Answers

Eight out of ten professionals consider that they were unable to rebuild their income due to the effect of inflation - Infobae​

1715962136052.png

Source:

May 17, 2024

Although the majority had salary adjustments in the last three months, the increases were not enough to cover what was lost due to the increase in price indices

By Mariano Zalazar

1715962185226.png
51% of professionals are dissatisfied with their current salary level.

According to a study carried out by the global recruitment company, PageGroup, eight out of ten Argentine professionals consider that their salaries have not risen enough to counteract the effect of inflation in the last year, including the peak that occurred in December and January. .

“In the challenging economic context in the country and the world, professionals still expect higher salaries to keep up with the increasing cost of living. In Argentina, 79% of professionals consider that they received an insufficient adjustment against inflation during 2023. 51% are dissatisfied with the salary and 63% consider this dissatisfaction as the main reason for actively seeking a new position,” They explained from the consulting firm.

“This disparity highlights the difficulty that companies face in meeting the salary expectations of their employees in a complex economic context. That is why it is crucial to offer competitive salary packages aligned with the expectations of the labor market,” said Miguel Carugati , Managing Director Argentina & Uruguay of PageGroup.

Indeed, data published by the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (Indec) demonstrate that workers' dissatisfaction with their salaries goes beyond a simple perception. In 2023 the Consumer Price Index (CPI) advanced 211.4% and salaries did not even come close to the 200% barrier. In detail, during 2023 the salaries of formal private workers - where the majority of professionals are found - increased 165.8%, while the income of public sector workers had a nominal increase of 148.6%. Informal wage earners, for their part, achieved an increase of only 115.3%.

1715962222414.png
Salaries lost against inflation in 2023 and in the first quarter of 2024. (Franco Fafasuli)

Nor was there parity between salaries and inflation in the first quarter of this year. According to the values reported by Indec, the income of employees rose on average 45.5%, compared to inflation that reached 51.6%. Those who lost the least were workers in the registered private sector, who had an adjustment of 50.5%. Further behind were public sector employees (43.2%) and informal workers (29.1%). This means that, at least for now, salaries have not been able to recover the ground lost in 2023.

Despite this, companies in Argentina are making efforts to address the impact of inflation on wages. According to the study, 79% of employees have received an adjustment in the last three months.

Home office or in-person?​

The PageGroup study also revealed that 87% of candidates consider work-life balance to be the most important factor in their employment, even more than salary. As part of this trend, 72% of Argentines prioritize having a hybrid or flexible work arrangement. However, only three in ten employers consider it relevant to recruit or retain talent. In fact, more than a third of candidates are working in the office more than they did a year ago and 52% are currently working in a hybrid scheme.

“Argentinians are demanding autonomy and the ability to work flexibly, no longer as an optional benefit but as something they expect from a job, which represents a challenge for employers who want to get people back to the office,” said Carugati. .

Use of AI​

Although AI tools are not yet fully implemented in all roles, they are already impacting people's career decisions. In the country, 24% of employees are using them in their jobs, while on a global scale 33% do so. 40% of Argentines believe that AI will affect their long-term career plans.

“Providing a clear vision on the future role of AI, and offering growth opportunities in an environment where these tools improve efficiency and productivity, will help retain professionals and attract new talent,” said Carugati.

I mentioned complaining in another post. Argentines like to complain. I think if you ask a question like "are you happy with your salary" most Argentines will complain. The economy is really horrible. Many companies will go out of business. I have some friends earning a decent salary and they aren't happy with them. One recently asked their employer for a huge raise and they said no. They did give them a smaller raise but not the 100% they asked for. Employees just have to realize that the companies have to be able to operate at a profit as well. If not, they will just shut down completely and the employee will be out of a job.

Many times employees only consider how tough it is for them but they don't think about how tough it is for the company as well. If you lose a job today it's not that easy to replace a decent paying job.

I mentioned complaining in another post. Argentines like to complain. I think if you ask a question like "are you happy with your salary" most Argentines will complain. The economy is really horrible. Many companies will go out of business. I have some friends earning a decent salary and they aren't happy with them. One recently asked their employer for a huge raise and they said no. They did give them a smaller raise but not the 100% they asked for. Employees just have to realize that the companies have to be able to operate at a profit as well. If not, they will just shut down completely and the employee will be out of a job.

Many times employees only consider how tough it is for them but they don't think about how tough it is for the company as well. If you lose a job today it's not that easy to replace a decent paying job.
I know people like this as well. I agree with you that most will complain about a salary even if it is above market rates. In an inflationary environment they will want more. My neighbor last year also asked her employer for a raise and they couldn't meet what she asked for. She told them she was not happy and would be looking for a better paying job. She made a good salary for local standards. Well that company had to close down and they laid her off. She is still looking for a job and it's been 4 months.

AI will eliminate a lot of customer service jobs in the future. The technology is getting really good. Many jobs will be eliminated.

Back