Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Everything You Need to Know About the June 20th and 21st Holidays in Argentina 🩵🤍🩵

Cariba

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone!

I wanted to let you know that June 20th and 21st are holidays in Argentina, and here is a brief explanation and some interesting facts about these dates, so you can better understand.

June 20th: Flag Day​

In Argentina, June 20th is celebrated as Flag Day in honor of its creator, Manuel Belgrano, who passed away on this date in 1820. Belgrano was a prominent leader in Argentina's fight for independence from Spain. He was a lawyer, economist, politician, and military leader.

1718729476886.png
Manuel Belgrano created the flag and that is why the day of the national flag is celebrated on the date of his death, June 20, 1820.

Historical Background​

Belgrano initially proposed a new emblem to distinguish the Argentine troops from the Spanish royalists, as both sides used red banners. The Triumvirate of Buenos Aires authorized him to create a new symbol, leading to the creation of the light blue and white cockade. The soldiers welcomed this new symbol, which gave them a renewed sense of identity and purpose.

Belgrano saw the need for a new flag during the construction of defensive positions and decided to use the colors of the cockade for this purpose. Although the Triumvirate had not officially approved a national flag, Belgrano took the initiative. The first Argentine flag was sewn by Catalina Echeverría and raised by the Paraná River on February 27, 1812. Belgrano addressed his troops, saying, "Soldiers of the Fatherland, let us swear to defeat our internal and external enemies, and South America will be the temple of independence, unity, and freedom."

1718729526569.png
Flag Day has Rosario as its epicenter, since it was near this city where it was flown for the first time, on the banks of the Paraná River.

June 21st: Bridge Holiday​

June 21st has been declared a bridge holiday this year, creating a long weekend. These bridge holidays are established by the government to promote tourism and allow people to enjoy a longer break from work or studies.

Interesting Facts​

Ceremonies and Celebrations: Flag Day is usually celebrated with school events, parades, and official ceremonies throughout the country. The city of Rosario, where the Argentine flag was first raised, is the epicenter of these celebrations.

Tourism: Long weekends due to bridge holidays are an excellent opportunity for domestic tourism, as many people take the chance to travel and explore new destinations within the country.

I hope this information is helpful and that you enjoy these days!1718729628716.png

Thanks! But wasn't yesterday just a holiday in Argentina too? My friend said it was a federal holiday yesterday. You have 3 holidays in one week?? It seems like you have a lot of holidays there. Every few weeks my friend tells me it's a holiday there!

Last Monday, June 17th, was a holiday in Argentina. Here's a brief summary to help you better understand this special date.

June 17th: Day of Passing into Immortality of General Güemes

In Argentina, June 17th commemorates the "Day of Passing into Immortality of General Martín Miguel de Güemes." Güemes was a key military leader during Argentina's war of independence against Spanish and royalist invasions. He was known for organizing resistance in the northern regions of the country, in present-day provinces of Salta and Jujuy.

1718730455324.png
It is commemorated the Passing into Immortality of General Don Martín de Güemes, military leader and caudillo from Salta

Historical Background

Güemes led the fight against Spanish and royalist forces through guerrilla warfare, which was pivotal in the national liberation strategy. His resistance was crucial in maintaining the independence of Argentina's northern provinces and securing communication routes with Upper Peru.

Significance of the Holiday

The June 17th holiday was established to honor Güemes's memory and legacy. He died on June 17th, 1821, from wounds sustained in battle. It's a day to remember his courage, leadership, and sacrifice in the struggle for Argentina's freedom.

Celebrations and Meaning
On this day, commemorative events, parades, and tributes take place across the country, especially in the northern provinces where Güemes had a significant impact. It's an opportunity to reflect on the history and ideals of independence and unity that Güemes embodied.

I hope this summary helps you understand why June 17th was a special day in Argentina.

Thanks! But wasn't yesterday just a holiday in Argentina too? My friend said it was a federal holiday yesterday. You have 3 holidays in one week?? It seems like you have a lot of holidays there. Every few weeks my friend tells me it's a holiday there!
Yes yesterday was also a holiday. Didn't know there were two more holidays this week. 3 in one week is a lot!

I just looked as I was curious and it says Argentina has 19 public holidays each year. One of the most in the world.

That may say 19 but I swear there are more. Sometimes there are holidays that fall at the beginning or end of the week and the government will declare an additional day as a day off. That happened a few times. I can't remember which holidays but it feels like there are more than 19 per year.

Back