Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Folklore and typical food in BA

jason99

Where can I experience a folk and traditional music show in Buenos Aires?

I would be grateful for your recommendations!

Hello @jason99 ,

Here are some suggestions:

"Asociación Folclórica La Paila"

1703872024325.png

Located in Palermo, they offer Empanadas, Stews, Casseroles, Tamales, Picadas, Sandwiches (vegetarian too). And obviously Folklore!

Besides shows, they offer workshops and activities.

"La peña de Ricardo"

1703872338300.png

A space organized by students graduated from the Folklore career of the UNA (National University of Arts), in force since 2014, with many proposals and activities to perform. Here you can taste typical food and enjoy good music. Is in Balvanera.

"Epacio 350

1703872679235.png

Espacio 350 aims to promote and encourage the development and cultural expressions in all its forms, understanding culture as the projects, artistic expressions, creations, knowledge and beliefs that make the development of human beings. Here you can enjoy a good show while you dine on traditional food. is in Almagro.

You should go to the "Feria de Mataderos" as the porteños call it, there you find everything in one place, there I tasted the famous locro and I could see a folklore show, I must say I was impressed, also I could interact with the "Gauchos", you really should not miss this experience if you want to know about folklore, gauchos and traditional foods. Also, in the fair there are many original handicrafts, I bought some things to give to my friends.

Hi, during my stay I had the opportunity to go to the Mataderos Fair and really if you want to live the flavors of Buenos Aires you can't miss it, I saw an incredible Folklore show, the dancers very kindly allowed us to take pictures with them with that elegant dress! I really recommend it!

Also, in this forum you have all the information about the fair;

I love these posts, they make everything easier.

Hello @jason99 ,

Here are some suggestions:

"Asociación Folclórica La Paila"

View attachment 1127

Located in Palermo, they offer Empanadas, Stews, Casseroles, Tamales, Picadas, Sandwiches (vegetarian too). And obviously Folklore!

Besides shows, they offer workshops and activities.

"La peña de Ricardo"

View attachment 1128

A space organized by students graduated from the Folklore career of the UNA (National University of Arts), in force since 2014, with many proposals and activities to perform. Here you can taste typical food and enjoy good music. Is in Balvanera.

"Epacio 350

View attachment 1129

Espacio 350 aims to promote and encourage the development and cultural expressions in all its forms, understanding culture as the projects, artistic expressions, creations, knowledge and beliefs that make the development of human beings. Here you can enjoy a good show while you dine on traditional food. is in Almagro.

Thanks @Cariba! I am planning to return to Argentina after many years absence. I haven't been there since COVID lock down. Will check it out.

Back