Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Getting through the border with 2 big bags

HouZzz

Hi guys – I am flying in to BAires next month, and with me I am bringing the rest of my fiancee's stuff...

I'll have 2 big checked bags, and two carry ons, packed with various things, like:

- 2 laptops (one will be new, but out of box, another an old macbook)
- an old iPad
- about 5 pairs of new shoes (im a guy, these are my girl's shoes.)
- a bunch of clothes

I'm worried they will suspect I am smuggling stuff in to sell or something. I don't want to pay any taxes – but I need to bring this stuff to her.

Also, my plane ticket says my return flight is 10 days after landing... but I plan on staying a few months. I bought the return flight because it was cheaper than one way!

We arrived 2,5 weeks ago (fam of 4 with 2 young kids) with 6 large bags/suitcase (22.5 kg each), 6 pieces of hand luggage. All included toys, shoes (one full bag) laptop, iPad, Samsung and Nokia phone, iPhone and so on. Nothing checked, so I would say no worries.

Use the search function to find more on this topic. People hardly ever experience trouble.

You shouldn't have a problem with the non-electronics stuff at all. For the shoes, just make sure the tags are off of them and they aren't in the box. I doubt they will ask.

They are more concerned about electronics.

I've flown in with 2 laptops before. Although a few times they did turn on the laptop that looked new (or was new). I'd suggest you take the stickers off the new laptop and at least load some software on it or set it up so that when they turn it on it doesn't go into the new computer mode screen. Set it up and maybe even call it "Juxley1234's Laptop" or whatever your real name is. And maybe even load some software on it.

What they are concerned about is you trying to sell the stuff in Argentina. I always explained that one was a work computer and one was a personal computer but make sure to at least load some stuff on it.

I had a friend that was bringing in a computer for a local friend and customs turned it on and it went into the screen where it hadn't even been registered yet. Needless to say the guy had to pay some customs taxes on it as no way you can say it's used if it goes to the registration mode.

I arrive here 5 years ago, on a tourist visa, with 15 suitcases (it should have been 16, but the tea-leaf baggage handlers had one of them at Heathrow - eventually returned without its contents). I had to 'employ' 2 of the very helpful guys at the carousel to help me load them onto 3 trolleys and I strolled out through customs looking as casual as you like and nobody said a word! They were full of electronics, DVDs, CDs, records and all my clothes.

Of course, things have changed a lot since then! I'm off back home for the first time in over 3 years shortly and I'm so worried about what they'll say on the way back if they stop me just with the electronics I'm taking out of the country, that I'm going to carry all the receipts so I can prove I bought them here.

What shoush says is very important. If you're a tourist you're allowed to travel with the electronics you're carrying - if they suspect you're going to leave them here it doesn't matter a jot that they're your personal possessions, they're still liable to the 50% import duty (after the first USD300). If they look suspicious when they see the women's shoes, just wink and blow them a kiss....that'll work.

I'm stuffed because I'm a permanent resident and can't play the 'tourist' card.

All new electronics should look used. Like they said, load software, photos, screen saver of you at a picnic with your drunk friends on the personal one. On the professional one load a screen saver of any large company's logo, and a bunch of work-type files. Try not to bring more than 1 of any specific item. Don't bring the boxes. Send those to yourself later via post office.

All clothes should have the tags removed. Keep these tags on your person. Get one of those nifty tag guns to re-attach before selling here in BsAs. Mix the smuggled goods with your own used clothes, dirty underwear on top. Try to avoid bringing 5 Hollister sweatshirts of the same color and size.

Helps to have old receipts of electronics items just in case. They actually don't have to match the electronic item exactly, but try to get close, ie don't use an iPad receipt for a flat-screen tv.

At customs make sure you fill out the form completely including declaring your cell phone(s). Flash your passport, put your bags on the belt, walk on through like you don't expect them to stop you. Don't flirt, don't frown. Do something innocuous like look at your watch to relieve the tension in your body. Grab your bags, nod your head and go.

Huh? Uh, what? This isn't the How To Smuggle Items thread? ... oh ... sorry. :)

Back