Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Gibraltar Bar, Excellent craft beer

Leo

A little gem in the heart of San Telmo. A well-placed English-style bar, perfect for a laid-back afternoon or a quiet dinner. The ambiance is fantastic, with great music playing. They offer several excellent food choices, including vegetarian options. The beers are priced between $1500 and $2000, and they are delicious. The sharing platters are tasty and generous, and we paid $10,000 for a complete platter.

1703607475816.png

A fantastic venue with a lot of style, adorned with vintage paintings depicting various battles. It features a pool table and a charming little patio. The draft cider is exceptionally delicious. The menu is diverse and unique, offering generously portioned, flavorful dishes at affordable prices. The staff provides excellent service, making it an all-around enjoyable experience

I am not normally a big fan of British bars anywhere outside the UK. But I do admit to having an occasional pint in Gibraltar when I am in San Telmo.

The beer is always decent and sensibly priced and the food is pretty decent

They also show British football as well!
Wow, if you're endorsing it then I'm going to check it out on my next trip. I have a bunch of British clients that say they come here. I will check it out!

Its not an upmarket place but quite often we will use it as a meeting poiint before going for a big formal dinner in la Brigada, which is only a couple of blocks away.
I just had a pint in here last week. I was going to say casual place. Pub/bar atmosphere. @earlyretirement I read some of your food posts. This might be too low brow for your expensive tastes!

@earlyretirement will be fine - I am sure he can swim in all sorts of seas . I will take him in next month and explain the etiquette of the place!
Ha! Yes, you know me already so well and we have never met yet in person! Most people don't know this but I spent a lot of time traveling around the world. I have visited just about every country in South America. I've been to over 600 cities in almost 80 countries. Even today I am usually on the road 1`00+ days out of the year.

I like low brow as much as I enjoy expensive places. To me what matters is the food! I do enjoy atmosphere but I can fit in anywhere. I enjoy going to hole in the wall places in Latin America probably more than 5 star Michelin restaurants. But more so I enjoy being with good people and good company. As I get older, I enjoy being around smart, intelligent people. That's probably the most important thing to me now as I get older. And unfortunately the older I get the more I find that it's more difficult to find really intelligent people. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you in person @GlasgowJohn.

It's not bad, decent food I used to go there a lot when I lived in San Telmo in 2022

Something I noticed there with certain waitstaff if you tipped them a small amount up front while ordering your meal portion would be greatly increased. For a 500 up front tip you might get an extra 2-3k of food going by their menu prices

It's not bad, decent food I used to go there a lot when I lived in San Telmo in 2022

Something I noticed there with certain waitstaff if you tipped them a small amount up front while ordering your meal portion would be greatly increased. For a 500 up front tip you might get an extra 2-3k of food going by their menu prices
Wow that is a great tip. How did you figure this out @MickMolloy? Did someone mention it to you? Or you just figured it out on your own?

Also, how did you like living in San Telmo? Some friends have told me lately there is just too many expats living there. Did you feel the same? The last time I was there with my kids it was just chaotic. More than a typical Sunday. Some friends told me even when it's not Sunday it's too full of expats. Did you find that to be true? I didn't know if they were exaggerating or not?

Wow that is a great tip. How did you figure this out @MickMolloy? Did someone mention it to you? Or you just figured it out on your own?

Also, how did you like living in San Telmo? Some friends have told me lately there is just too many expats living there. Did you feel the same? The last time I was there with my kids it was just chaotic. More than a typical Sunday. Some friends told me even when it's not Sunday it's too full of expats. Did you find that to be true? I didn't know if they were exaggerating or not?

Honestly if the economy keeps going to hell I wouldn't live here with kids there's some angry people around. If you are single and have nothing to lose and you love the neighbourhood go for it. If I had kids I wouldn't bring them here

Honestly if the economy keeps going to hell I wouldn't live here with kids there's some angry people around. If you are single and have nothing to lose and you love the neighbourhood go for it. If I had kids I wouldn't bring them here
What are the people angry about? I was there last month and the economy was very bad but people seemed to be in ok spirits for how bad the economy is. I was surprised how busy all the restaurants are. Some tourists but many locals as well.

What are the people angry about? I was there last month and the economy was very bad but people seemed to be in ok spirits for how bad the economy is. I was surprised how busy all the restaurants are. Some tourists but many locals as well.
I left town a few weeks ago but prior to that and all of this year I think many people are just tired and scared. Heck, even expat friends that I know that have lived in BA for many years are scared of the unknown. I am prepared for anything but after spending the past few weeks in NYC I can tell you that prices here are very crazy expensive. I doubt BA can or will get more expensive than the USA. Fortunately I have USD savings and income but for locals it's a crappy time for them. No doubt they are depressed about the cost of living increases but that inflation was going on all year. True its sped up but Milei has always said this would be the case to fix things.

Hopefully it comes back down later in the year. Time will tell.

Back