Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Growing Opportunities: Argentina’s Burgeoning Medical Marijuana Industry

Avocado

Marijuana legalization is coming to Argentina soon. Many of my patients ask me for prescriptions. Many of my patients are growing their own. It's already decriminalized for personal use in small amounts and for consumption at home.

I'm not sure if people would pay high taxes to buy weed. All my friends grow their own plants free. I don't think it would be like the USA if they legalize it. I went to Los Angles for vacation and I went to a marijuana shop and I almost fell to the ground when I saw how much the taxes there are pot. I ALMOST walked out. Ha.

I'm not sure if people would pay high taxes to buy weed. All my friends grow their own plants free. I don't think it would be like the USA if they legalize it. I went to Los Angles for vacation and I went to a marijuana shop and I almost fell to the ground when I saw how much the taxes there are pot. I ALMOST walked out. Ha.
I'm not sure if Argentines would pay high taxes but I do think they would pay some taxes to get ready access to it. When I go to Las Vegas for vacation, I find it interesting the first thing the Uber driver asks you if you want to go to buy marijuana. It's perfectly legal there. The first time I went to Vegas I said no. They I was curious so I went inside a dispensary and it was fascinating. Everything you could want. Any kind of marijuana. Edibles, vape, plants. The taxes were incredibly high but the shop was full.

Many Argentines smoke weed so probably the stores would be very successful. I asked the Uber driver if it's popular and he said it's amazing because people use to buy things from dealer on street and you didn't know what was inside. Now it's all regulated and you know 100% what you are getting. Sounds like a win/win.

How strict are they are the airport? Do they have any dogs at the airport in customs like some airports? I have a prescription for medical marijuana. I'm heading down to Buenos Aires for 2 months. Will I have any issues if I bring down a 2 month supply? Or is it very easy to buy down there on the down low?

Will I have any issues if I bring down a 2 month supply? Or is it very easy to buy down there on the down low?
just saw this... i would never ever fly with weed/cannabis/marijuana, for any reason, ever. crossing int'l borders is never a good idea. i haven't researched this, but i don't even drive US state borders with cannabis or hemp; way too risky with Federal implications.

just saw this... i would never ever fly with weed/cannabis/marijuana, for any reason, ever. crossing int'l borders is never a good idea. i haven't researched this, but i don't even drive US state borders with cannabis or hemp; way too risky with Federal implications.
I agree. While I don't think they would hassle you for small amounts, I know people that brought into Mexico to bring to party for a weekend and had severe issues. Probably like Argentina it depends if you get a grumpy customs official or sometimes they have drug dogs entering Argentina and especially Mexico.

Back