Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Has anyone replaced a lost or stolen passport at the USA Embassy in Buenos Aires?

Cheap Bastard

So I am a fool. I never walk around with my passport unless I am going to Western Union where they require it. I was walking around today and I had it in my front pocket and when I got to the WU I couldn't find it. I must have dropped it or someone stole it from my pocket somehow. I dont' think someone stole it as it was in my front pocket. More likely I dropped it when I was withdrawing some money from the ATM as it was in the same pocket.

I went back to the bank but no one turned it in. I will have to go get it replaced at the USA Embassy. Has anyone gone through this process of changing a passport? Was it time consuming and how long did it take?

Thanks.

So I am a fool. I never walk around with my passport unless I am going to Western Union where they require it. I was walking around today and I had it in my front pocket and when I got to the WU I couldn't find it. I must have dropped it or someone stole it from my pocket somehow. I dont' think someone stole it as it was in my front pocket. More likely I dropped it when I was withdrawing some money from the ATM as it was in the same pocket.

I went back to the bank but no one turned it in. I will have to go get it replaced at the USA Embassy. Has anyone gone through this process of changing a passport? Was it time consuming and how long did it take?

Thanks.
Bummer. Will the Western Union offices accept any other ID like State Driver's license or USA Passport card (the small one the size of State ID) instead of the actual passport? This is my worst nightmare traveling around having to replace my Passport. I literally never walk around with mine when traveling but my friend there said some stores actually want to see the Passport which seems strange.

Bummer. Will the Western Union offices accept any other ID like State Driver's license or USA Passport card (the small one the size of State ID) instead of the actual passport? This is my worst nightmare traveling around having to replace my Passport. I literally never walk around with mine when traveling but my friend there said some stores actually want to see the Passport which seems strange.
No the Western Union offices won't accept State ID's and my friend tried with her passport card and they didn't allow her to use it. I am not sure on their official policy and maybe if she went to another location they would but they made her bring the actual Passport. When I go to WU I just use my DNI so I don't have to carry around my passport.

Thanks.
Happens to the best of us. I had this happen many years ago. It is an easy process. Not sure how long you have or if it's a rush but they can get you an emergency replacement if you have an upcoming flight.

Instructions below:

If your valid U.S. passport has been stolen and you have immediate travel plans, the American Citizen Services unit may be able to issue you an emergency passport. You will need to bring a copy of the police report and your airline tickets. If you require a replacement for a lost passport, you must make an appointment.

Send us an email at BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov with a copy of your itinerary. Please note that failure to renew a previously lost or stolen passport in a timely manner prior to your travel is not an emergency service, and you will need an appointment to receive a new passport.

You must complete and print all necessary passport forms using the Passport Wizard and bring them to your appointment or you will have to schedule another appointment.

What to Bring to Your Appointment

• Completed form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport,
  • Completed form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport,
  • Photo identification, if available (i.e. valid driver’s license or military ID) + copy,
  • Proof of citizenship, if available (i.e. copy of passport, U.S. birth certificate or Naturalization Certificate) + copy,
  • One (1) 5 cm x 5 cm passport photograph ,
  • Police report of the loss or theft + copy,
  • Passport Fee: Adults (age 16 and over) USD 165; minors (age 15 and under) USD 135 paid via Pay.gov
  • Payment receipt
  • DHL Waybill (if not requesting an emergency passport) (Available DHL Stores)
Applicants Age 16 and 17

If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself. However, we strongly recommend that at least one parent accompany you to show parental awareness.

Examples of Parental Awareness:

• A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
  • A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.

Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians.

Flight Changes

Emergency passports are not issued on weekends or holidays. They are generally ready same-day, at 3:00 pm. However, unforeseen delays can happen. If you must reschedule your flight because of a lost or stolen passport, please wait to make your new reservations until after your visit to the Embassy.

Thanks.
Sorry this happened to you. What I recommend is in the front of the passport there is an area that has your address in it. I ALWAYS write in pencil my address along with my cellphone number along with a note that if found to place contact for a reward. When I travel I just put in the address for the Hotel I am staying at. I once lost my passport in Paris during vacation and it totally saved me! They returned it to my hotel. I would have given them a reward but they didn't leave a name or number. But my folks taught me that trip growing up. Saved me!

Sorry this happened to you. What I recommend is in the front of the passport there is an area that has your address in it. I ALWAYS write in pencil my address along with my cellphone number along with a note that if found to place contact for a reward. When I travel I just put in the address for the Hotel I am staying at. I once lost my passport in Paris during vacation and it totally saved me! They returned it to my hotel. I would have given them a reward but they didn't leave a name or number. But my folks taught me that trip growing up. Saved me!
GREAT idea. I'm going to start doing this.

Happens to the best of us. I had this happen many years ago. It is an easy process. Not sure how long you have or if it's a rush but they can get you an emergency replacement if you have an upcoming flight.

Instructions below:

If your valid U.S. passport has been stolen and you have immediate travel plans, the American Citizen Services unit may be able to issue you an emergency passport. You will need to bring a copy of the police report and your airline tickets. If you require a replacement for a lost passport, you must make an appointment.

Send us an email at BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov with a copy of your itinerary. Please note that failure to renew a previously lost or stolen passport in a timely manner prior to your travel is not an emergency service, and you will need an appointment to receive a new passport.

You must complete and print all necessary passport forms using the Passport Wizard and bring them to your appointment or you will have to schedule another appointment.

• Photo identification, if available (i.e. valid driver’s license or military ID) + copy,
  • Proof of citizenship, if available (i.e. copy of passport, U.S. birth certificate or Naturalization Certificate) + copy,
  • Passport Fee: Adults (age 16 and over) USD 165; minors (age 15 and under) USD 135 paid via Pay.gov
  • Payment receipt
Applicants Age 16 and 17

If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself. However, we strongly recommend that at least one parent accompany you to show parental awareness.

• A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.

Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians.

Flight Changes

Emergency passports are not issued on weekends or holidays. They are generally ready same-day, at 3:00 pm. However, unforeseen delays can happen. If you must reschedule your flight because of a lost or stolen passport, please wait to make your new reservations until after your visit to the Embassy.
I lost my passport in Buenos Aires several years ago. This is correct advice and it is what I did to replace it. They processed a new one fairly quickly.

Instructions below:

• Payment receipt
Applicants Age 16 and 17

Flight Changes

Thank you to everyone that took time to respond. I went to the US Embassy and applied for replacement. All very painless. Thank you.

Back