Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Have You Heard About These Scams? Fake U.S. Military Impersonators

Russell

The current scam trend involves individuals impersonating U.S. military personnel, both men and women. In one case, an Argentine fell in love with a supposed U.S. female soldier and transferred $1 million for her to travel to Chubut, but it was all a scam. This type of fraud is becoming so common that support groups have even been created on Facebook to help identify scammers. Generally, once the scammer has gained the victim's trust, they start requesting money. They might claim they need help covering medical expenses, obtaining exit permits, sending packages, or resolving urgent financial problems. Sometimes, they say they need money to return home. That's why it's important to stay vigilant and not fall for the temptation of "love."

I've heard about these scams targeting both men and women who meet these fraudsters on dating apps or cultural exchange apps. There are more and more support groups and increased awareness about these scams. However, many victims are hesitant to report or share their experiences due to the shame they feel.

I've heard that there's a trending type of scam that unfortunately many people fall for, often driven by romantic motives. More information about this should be spread, especially since I understand that many of these scammers are often from Nigeria. One precaution could be to check the area code of the phone number they use to contact victims, which can help verify their origin. It's crucial to stay alert and not be swayed by what victims believe is love; when money is involved, that should be a clear warning sign. Unfortunately, this scam has existed for many years, but it's gaining more attention now.

Unfortunately, there are many victims who lose touch with reality, I think, because the scam doesn’t happen overnight. The scammer works meticulously to gain the victim's trust, which can take months of careful planning. They develop a relationship and then strike.

Back