Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Help! Paperwork for Transporting my Dog to Buenos Aires - APHIS Stamp from USDA

fetch rover

Hi everyone!

So, I'm gonna move to Argentina real soon with my dog, and I'm a bit confused about this health certificate thing. My vet is saying that we don't need that APHIS stamp from the USDA to go to Argentina with my pup. He's all like, "Nah, you just need a health certificate signed by me, and I'm USDA certified for this stuff." Can anyone double-check if this is true? My vet sent me an email saying, "The 'government endorsement' is usually the APHIS stamp, but it's not needed for Argentina, according to the Department of Agriculture." Any thoughts on this? 🐾

To transport a dog from the United States to Argentina, compliance with various requirements is essential. These encompass the following: a microchip (recommended, though not mandatory), a valid rabies vaccination accompanied by an official certificate, a veterinary health certificate (utilizing Form 7001 in the U.S.), and government endorsements. The International Veterinary Certificate (IVC), issued by the Veterinary Authority of the country of origin, is a requisite document. It must incorporate the sanitary specifications outlined in Resolution GMC 17/15, and the certificate itself needs to be issued within ten days preceding the IVC date. Furthermore, it must be presented in Spanish or translated into Spanish.

The pet must have received a rabies vaccination between 30 days and 12 months before entering Argentina. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or Passport validation, issued by the Sanitary Authority of the current location, is valid for 60 days for entry into Argentina, contingent upon the rabies vaccine's validity on the day of arrival. No import permit is necessary. Boarding arrangements for your pet should be directly coordinated with the chosen airline, ensuring it is pet-friendly. Sedation is both discouraged and prohibited.

Detailed travel requirements for your pet are stipulated in the health certificate, and an APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is obligatory. The pet's passport must encompass a health certificate, rabies vaccination details, and records of parasite treatments. The certificate necessitates endorsement by a government veterinarian representing the relevant agency. It is crucial to note that the Consulate does not process or issue any licenses for animal entry into Argentina.

The pet's boarding must be arranged directly with the airline, and upon arrival in Argentina, the pet should be presented at the Frontier Inspection Post. The original International Veterinary Certificate, containing all the sanitary regulations outlined in Resolution GMC of MERCOSUR No. 17/15, will be valid for sixty consecutive days from its issuance in the country of origin.

For more information, you can refer to the following sources:

Hi everyone!

So, I'm gonna move to Argentina real soon with my dog, and I'm a bit confused about this health certificate thing. My vet is saying that we don't need that APHIS stamp from the USDA to go to Argentina with my pup. He's all like, "Nah, you just need a health certificate signed by me, and I'm USDA certified for this stuff." Can anyone double-check if this is true? My vet sent me an email saying, "The 'government endorsement' is usually the APHIS stamp, but it's not needed for Argentina, according to the Department of Agriculture." Any thoughts on this? 🐾
One of the forum members @Nomadoggo wrote a really great blog about bringing their dog. You can use the search feature on this forum and it is very powerful. I use it all the time to look up stuff and I'm surprised many times I can find what I'm looking for. You can also click on tags on each post if you want to find something else like that post and it will show you all the same threads with the same tags.

To transport a dog from the United States to Argentina, compliance with various requirements is essential. These encompass the following: a microchip (recommended, though not mandatory), a valid rabies vaccination accompanied by an official certificate, a veterinary health certificate (utilizing Form 7001 in the U.S.), and government endorsements. The International Veterinary Certificate (IVC), issued by the Veterinary Authority of the country of origin, is a requisite document. It must incorporate the sanitary specifications outlined in Resolution GMC 17/15, and the certificate itself needs to be issued within ten days preceding the IVC date. Furthermore, it must be presented in Spanish or translated into Spanish.

The pet must have received a rabies vaccination between 30 days and 12 months before entering Argentina. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or Passport validation, issued by the Sanitary Authority of the current location, is valid for 60 days for entry into Argentina, contingent upon the rabies vaccine's validity on the day of arrival. No import permit is necessary. Boarding arrangements for your pet should be directly coordinated with the chosen airline, ensuring it is pet-friendly. Sedation is both discouraged and prohibited.

Detailed travel requirements for your pet are stipulated in the health certificate, and an APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is obligatory. The pet's passport must encompass a health certificate, rabies vaccination details, and records of parasite treatments. The certificate necessitates endorsement by a government veterinarian representing the relevant agency. It is crucial to note that the Consulate does not process or issue any licenses for animal entry into Argentina.

The pet's boarding must be arranged directly with the airline, and upon arrival in Argentina, the pet should be presented at the Frontier Inspection Post. The original International Veterinary Certificate, containing all the sanitary regulations outlined in Resolution GMC of MERCOSUR No. 17/15, will be valid for sixty consecutive days from its issuance in the country of origin.

For more information, you can refer to the following sources:

Wow! Great and helpful info!

Oh, it's a real breeze crossing borders. Just depends on which border guard is having a bad day. Forget a simple vet report; they want your dog's autobiography stamped by the government with Apostille and all! So, I once had to play border hopscotch because Mr. Customs decided my pup was a national threat "Sure, let the stray dogs with a PhD in infectious diseases roam free, but your dog needs a government-stamped novel, and of course, the system is conveniently down". Flying in? Well, that's a surefire way to turn a sunny day into a turbulent mess.

Oh, it's a real breeze crossing borders. Just depends on which border guard is having a bad day. Forget a simple vet report; they want your dog's autobiography stamped by the government with Apostille and all! So, I once had to play border hopscotch because Mr. Customs decided my pup was a national threat "Sure, let the stray dogs with a PhD in infectious diseases roam free, but your dog needs a government-stamped novel, and of course, the system is conveniently down". Flying in? Well, that's a surefire way to turn a sunny day into a turbulent mess.
Yes, I will be flying in to EZE airport. Thanks for all the information! I better find a new Vet ASAP! Thanks to all and happy new year.

Back in the day a few years ago (not sure if things are different now), I hopped on a plane from the US with my two fur buddies. My vet hooked me up with this legit travel kit – it had a fancy form from the Department of Agriculture, all sectioned off for the airline, Argentina government, and me. When we landed in Ezeiza, the animal control crew was top-notch – total pros and super chill. They even spilled the beans that showing up on a weekday is the move if you want to save some cash on their fees.

Also, a pro tip for you. My vet said it's always a good idea when you're putting them on a plane to put place an unwashed t-shirt of mine in each crate so the dog can smell you in the crates. This puts them at ease as they can smell things familiar to them. Good luck with your trip!

Back in the day a few years ago (not sure if things are different now), I hopped on a plane from the US with my two fur buddies. My vet hooked me up with this legit travel kit – it had a fancy form from the Department of Agriculture, all sectioned off for the airline, Argentina government, and me. When we landed in Ezeiza, the animal control crew was top-notch – total pros and super chill. They even spilled the beans that showing up on a weekday is the move if you want to save some cash on their fees.

Also, a pro tip for you. My vet said it's always a good idea when you're putting them on a plane to put place an unwashed t-shirt of mine in each crate so the dog can smell you in the crates. This puts them at ease as they can smell things familiar to them. Good luck with your trip!
This is GREAT advice. I never heard of that but it's great advice. Thanks to all for the wonderful advice. This forum is incredible!

a microchip (recommended, though not mandatory)

records of parasite treatments

@fetch rover highly recommend you check out Nomadoggo.com because the author just did exactly what you're doing, about 1 month ago.

it's confusing, and some vet offices will try to charge you $750 USD to get a piece of paper. can do it for under $250 if you research. the "parasites" part is for internal and external parasites, and you need to get it separate from the USDA/APHIS "CVI" certificate. easiest and cheapest and less-prone to failure (and your dog dying under the plane tiny risk that is unacceptable to some) is to do it through being a Service Animal which is surprisingly easy in the USA)

@fetch rover highly recommend you check out Nomadoggo.com because the author just did exactly what you're doing, about 1 month ago.

it's confusing, and some vet offices will try to charge you $750 USD to get a piece of paper. can do it for under $250 if you research. the "parasites" part is for internal and external parasites, and you need to get it separate from the USDA/APHIS "CVI" certificate. easiest and cheapest and less-prone to failure (and your dog dying under the plane tiny risk that is unacceptable to some) is to do it through being a Service Animal which is surprisingly easy in the USA)
Thank you! I just read the blog! Fantastic! I can't believe I missed it above. Another poster commented but I missed the link! Yes that is about what the vet we contacted wanted for that paperwork. What a scam! @StatusNomadicus did you bring a pet? Did you bring it as a service animal? Anyone do that?

you bring it as a service animal?
i'm probably the only one who has done it here (around Thanksgiving timeframe), so if you want some specific info that isn't on that blog or sites like https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/argentina.cfm then post them here and i'll send you the links i confirmed are accurate!

especially in Tampa FL the vets are all in on the scam. it is 9 minutes of data entry and a regular exam; should be $100, but when i found it for about $200 in Miami, i drove down from a buddy's house and knocked it out 3 days prior to my flight. it was tight, but people do it every day and if you find a veterinarian office that does it frequently, you'll be good! i'll get you squared-away, and highly recommend you don't pay the scammers that tell you it's a lot of work and should be $700 USD. f*ck them.

i brought a 90-pound neutered dog who has flown 4 times total now (never under the plane, not gonna do that even if he's low-risk and has a long snout). yes, got him training unrelated to Service Animal, and registered him with American Airlines as a service dog "medical alert" - it's pretty easy. most people on our flight had no idea a dog was sleeping in the very back corner of the plane, at my feet for 9 hours MIA-EZE. and SENASA in EZE airport is easy, 24/7 and was $5 USD total. use that "Argen-Tails" blog post for 95% of what you need, and tag me here if you need some specific answers :) @fetch rover

i'm probably the only one who has done it here (around Thanksgiving timeframe), so if you want some specific info that isn't on that blog or sites like https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/argentina.cfm then post them here and i'll send you the links i confirmed are accurate!

especially in Tampa FL the vets are all in on the scam. it is 9 minutes of data entry and a regular exam; should be $100, but when i found it for about $200 in Miami, i drove down from a buddy's house and knocked it out 3 days prior to my flight. it was tight, but people do it every day and if you find a veterinarian office that does it frequently, you'll be good! i'll get you squared-away, and highly recommend you don't pay the scammers that tell you it's a lot of work and should be $700 USD. f*ck them.

i brought a 90-pound neutered dog who has flown 4 times total now (never under the plane, not gonna do that even if he's low-risk and has a long snout). yes, got him training unrelated to Service Animal, and registered him with American Airlines as a service dog "medical alert" - it's pretty easy. most people on our flight had no idea a dog was sleeping in the very back corner of the plane, at my feet for 9 hours MIA-EZE. and SENASA in EZE airport is easy, 24/7 and was $5 USD total. use that "Argen-Tails" blog post for 95% of what you need, and tag me here if you need some specific answers :) @fetch rover
Good for you! Thanks for sharing. I love my dog and never would make him travel underneath where I have heard horror stories. This is very interesting. Thanks for the info.

never would make him travel underneath where I have heard horror stories
it's rare to die, but i also don't want to stress my dog out and make him think he's in trouble; he comes with me everywhere, and most people don't know at restaurants/bars he's under the table, in the plane, etc. until we leave :)

data from 2017 says "Of the 506,994 animals that flew on U.S. commercial air carriers last year, 24 died in transit" so it's a 0.00473% chance or something, but i would be crushed

it's rare to die, but i also don't want to stress my dog out and make him think he's in trouble; he comes with me everywhere, and most people don't know at restaurants/bars he's under the table, in the plane, etc. until we leave :)

data from 2017 says "Of the 506,994 animals that flew on U.S. commercial air carriers last year, 24 died in transit" so it's a 0.00473% chance or something, but i would be crushed
Yes, I know it's rare but I know of a friend that his dog died while being transported on an American Airlines flight. He was devastated and felt very guilty for a while. All GREAT information on this thread. Thanks everyone for contributing. That's what this forum is for. Sharing of great and informative information.

I know of a friend that his dog died while being transported on an American Airlines flight
and with so many people having friends like this, i seriously doubt the 'official' numbers. the fact that they won't transport during the Summer, and they won't put shirt-nosed dogs under the plane, tells me all i need to know

similarly, the gov't says the COVID vaccines only harmed a few thousand people, yet i personally know someone who immediately got arthritis in the wrist of the injected arm, 2 days later, and persisting since. what are the chances so many people know people with vaccine injuries, and VAERS seems to prevent a lot of people from actually reporting adverse events through their doctor (some docs just won't do it)

Back