Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Mart

So yesterday, I was driving on the highway. Due to construction, there was a point where 3 lanes merged into one. I was at a full stop while waiting to merge and a commercial truck drove too close and broke off my right side mirror. The driver knew he did it and just shrugged and kept driving as I was yelling at him to stop. I then drove along side him and he basically told me to f#*# off and laughed about it.

The cops (multiple) standing a few meters away just shrugged when I asked them to stop the truck and told me there was nothing they would do and just to write down the truck's license plate number.

Rant about how useless they were aside, anyone know where I should go to find out to whom the truck is registered? Commercial truck but the only name on the side of it was the truck manufacturer (googled it).

It's probably not even worth it to do it but I'm so infuriated and hate the idea of the truck driver getting away with it.

I am furious just reading about your story. I would go the policia federal main building, Virrey Cevallos 362, (Av. Belgrano) and file a complaint. Unfortunately in Argentina it's a national pastime to crap on the guy next to you and then spit on them if they complain. I see it happen every day, it's happened to me and it's infuriating as you say.

I would also contact your own insurance company and let them know what happened. They surely have access to the databases that link license plates to vehicles / owners. Good luck!

This is the reason to get full coverage insurance with no deductible. Then it's someone else's problem.

This is the reason to get full coverage insurance with no deductible. Then it's someone else's problem.
Yeah but these policies are typically not cheap.

Mart, I'm sorry to hear about this. Even though it might be a waste of time, if you have the license plate number, I'd still file a police report. Because the insurance company might need an actual police report.

Having a car in Buenos Aires is almost more trouble than it's worth. I had one and barely used it as it was a pain with parking most times.

I guess if you live outside of the Capital then it would be worth it but living in the city was a hassle and expensive. I had several hit and runs in parking lots and of course they never left a note.

Some of the worst drivers in the world.

Given that I pay 5000 year to insure my 3 YO VW Bora with a deductible, I'll skip the non-deductible. I can't even imagine what that would cost. Unfortunately where I live, a car is a necessity.

Estimate is between 500 and 1000 to replace it (if they can find the mirrors, apparently there are a shortage due to the import restrictions:rolleyes:)

It's not a question of money, I'm just so freaking exasperated about the lack of respect that so many people show here. It's not like this guy didn't know what he did, he honestly just didn't care. How do you look someone in the fact after you hit their car and tell them to f off and laugh? Just so infuriating.

Saddest part to me is all of my friends here were surprised that I actually thought the guy would stop. Their attitude was of course he didn't stop, he was in a truck, he doesn't care as long as his truck wasn't damaged. Nice....

Had a taxi driver break my rear turn light and dent one of my side-bags on my BMW motorcycle 4 years ago. He looked right at me, shrugged his shoulders, and drove off. I caught him at the next light, got off by bike, and with a swift boot kick sent his driver's side mirror onto the street. With a middle finger raised and a clear F#&%$ Y&#! I went around the traffic from behind him to keep my license plate hidden.

You can live vicariously with that story if you like. It was worth the $749 pesos to have my damage fixed.

Back