Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Home Away from Home: Why American Expats Crave Familiar Comforts Abroad - (Journey America)

Jerry Nelson

There are a number of reasons why American expats seek out other American expats and American products.

Source - https://journeyamerica.wordpress.co...erican-expats-crave-familiar-comforts-abroad/

Home Away from Home: Why American Expats Crave Familiar Comforts Abroad​

Jerry Nelson / 1 day ago

There’s Some Place Like Home: Lessons From a Decade Abroad

There’s nothing quite like stepping foot in a new country and declaring yourself home.
There’s Some Place Like Home is a front-row seat to the sometimes crazy, sometimes lonely, but never boring life of an expat.

If you’ve ever lived abroad, Honour’s heartfelt and humorous observations and stories will be instantly recognizable. And if you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to pack up and move across oceans or time zones, these stories, spanning a decade of life abroad, are a revealing window into a life lived outside the familiar.

There are a number of reasons why American expats seek out other American expats and American products.

Social connection and support: Living in a foreign country can be isolating and challenging, especially in the early stages of expatriation. American expats often seek out other Americans for social connection and support. They can share experiences, advice, and resources, and they can provide a sense of community and belonging.

Familiarity and comfort: American expats may miss familiar aspects of American culture, such as food, language, and customs. Seeking out American products and services can help them feel more at home in their new environment.

Cultural identity: Some American expats may seek out other Americans and American products as a way to express their cultural identity. They may be proud of their American heritage and want to share it with others.

Convenience and practicality: American expats may find that American products and services are more convenient or practical than those available in their host country. For example, they may prefer American grocery stores because they have a wider selection of products.

In some cases, seeking out other American expats and American products may indeed be defeating the purpose of being an expat. If an expat is primarily interested in recreating the American experience in their host country, then they may not be fully embracing the culture and customs of their new home. However, for many expats, seeking out American connections and products is simply a way to cope with the challenges of living abroad and to feel more comfortable in their new environment.
Here are some specific examples of how American expats seek out other American expats and American products:
  • Joining American expat clubs or groups
  • Attending American expat events
  • Shopping at American grocery stores and restaurants
  • Watching American movies and TV shows
  • Listening to American music
  • Reading American books and magazines
It is important to note that not all American expats seek out other Americans and American products. Some expats are more interested in immersing themselves in the culture of their host country and may have little interest in connecting with other Americans. Ultimately, how much an expat seeks out American connections and products is a personal decision.

Thanks for sharing Jerry! For sure, comforts of home help. But previously when I lived in Buenos Aires I never hung out with any expats. I got more enjoyment hanging out with my local friends. I'd also encourage people to really push themselves to learn Spanish and meet locals. It will totally elevate your experience.

Back