Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Home Insurance - Rental Contract

Oatmeal

Hi. Does anyone have any information on a company that provides insurance for a rental (home)? The landlord (owner) is requesting I get fire & civil liability coverage. Normal there is rental insurance from my understanding back in the US but not sure about here. I was told by the accessor this is not a high cost but it is a requirement for the rental contract. Any information on where I can find a company and what I need to know would be great help. Thank you.

Hi. Does anyone have any information on a company that provides insurance for a rental (home)? The landlord (owner) is requesting I get fire & civil liability coverage. Normal there is rental insurance from my understanding back in the US but not sure about here. I was told by the accessor this is not a high cost but it is a requirement for the rental contract. Any information on where I can find a company and what I need to know would be great help. Thank you.

Never heard of that requirement, but I'm also interested, even though I own my place. It would be good to be able to ensure the contents of our place against fire and theft.

Never heard of that requirement, but I'm also interested, even though I own my place. It would be good to be able to ensure the contents of our place against fire and theft.
This is for a rental of a house. From research apartments have building insurance already so it may be different. We just got some quotes online and one even called us after we entered our information. We stated our situation and the agent told us rentals are usually th basic requirements and gave us a quote of around 8.000/month with some items we wanted to cover. Online quotes have been around 20.000 - 40.000 based on me just guessing the coverage I want. The agent did say we do not need full value of the house for fire coverage and suggested 25.000.000 is sufficent.

Yes, insurance policies are very affordable. Here is the broker that I have used for many years. She speaks English. I'm not sure if she is still writing residential policies but for sure she can help refer you to someone that can.

Yes we got a policy when we bought our house. Not expensive. Fires are rare here but mostly it covers water damage if a pipe breaks and for theft. IIRC, we just bought it with our bank so you may want to check with the major banks as well.

Back