Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

Daviiiid

Wondering about the standard tipping etiquette for cafes and restaurants here.

I come from a place where tipping isn't the norm, so I'm not entirely accustomed to it, but I usually go with around 10%. Is that the usual practice?

My Argentine girlfriend's family thinks I'm overly generous with tipping, but she assures me they're just a bit tightfisted when it comes to gratuities.

15-20% usually

I come from a place where tipping isn't the norm, so I'm not entirely accustomed to it, but I usually go with around 10%. Is that the usual practice?

My Argentine girlfriend's family thinks I'm overly generous with tipping, but she assures me they're just a bit tightfisted when it comes to gratuities.

I usually throw in a 10% tip. I get that in theory, Argentina isn't big on tipping, but considering how meager people's wages can be, especially in the service industry, I figure it's just part of the deal when dining out. My husband, who's from here, thinks I'm a bit too generous with tips, but I remind him that not everyone is as fortunate as we are.

I usually go for a minimum of 10%, unless the service has been exceptionally poor. In that case, I might tip more perhaps even significantly more if someone has gone above and beyond to make my experience better. When I'm not entirely sure that a tip included in a card payment will actually reach or be shared with the deserving person, I prefer to tip in cash, especially when paying by card.

I've had my fair share of gigs as a waitress, café barista, and various other roles heavily reliant on tips. Let me say this loud and clear these jobs are physically demanding (and sometimes mentally taxing). That's why I've adopted a habit of consistently being a generous tipper, whether I'm here or back in the US. The main reason behind this is that a few extra pesitos for the customer might seem like a small thing, but for someone working in those positions, it really adds up, and it genuinely makes a difference!

I'm not rolling in wealth, but I do recognize that if I'm fortunate enough to enjoy services like delivery, dining out, or getting my hair done, then I can definitely set aside a bit more to show my appreciation for the hardworking folks providing those services.

I've had my fair share of gigs as a waitress, café barista, and various other roles heavily reliant on tips. Let me say this loud and clear these jobs are physically demanding (and sometimes mentally taxing). That's why I've adopted a habit of consistently being a generous tipper, whether I'm here or back in the US. The main reason behind this is that a few extra pesitos for the customer might seem like a small thing, but for someone working in those positions, it really adds up, and it genuinely makes a difference!

I'm not rolling in wealth, but I do recognize that if I'm fortunate enough to enjoy services like delivery, dining out, or getting my hair done, then I can definitely set aside a bit more to show my appreciation for the hardworking folks providing those services.

Consider tipping in the range of 10-20%. Establishing good rapport as a regular customer is crucial for receiving decent service.

In contrast to the U.S., where we often expect good service before tipping generously, here's a local insight: if you're new in the neighborhood and plan to be a regular at a restaurant, it might be worthwhile to leave a good tip initially, even if the service isn't top-notch. The idea is that once they see you as a generous tipper, you're likely to receive better service over time. It might seem counterintuitive, but from my experience, it does work.

Another challenge is that dining alone is less common here, so if you're solo, there could be some skepticism the assumption might be, "Why would someone eat alone if they had friends? This person must be unfriendly."

It is customary to leave about 10% of the total amount consumed as a tip when the waiter's service is satisfactory. If the service is not good or you simply do not want to give 10%, you are not obliged to leave a tip and you can also choose to leave a smaller amount.

10% is a good starting point. As a tourist on vacation I tend to up to to 25-35% esp outside the US. A $20 outing that would easily be $100 here even with a 50% tip ($30 total vs 100 pluswhatever tip) I'm saving so much money I don't mind splurging on the experience. Here, the people are much more appreciative of even a moderate tip. Pizza place I went to in BA I ordered a $10 plate and gave a $4 tip, the waitress was to my surprise, very effusive with her gratitude. Where as here in the US I've done a $20 plate plus a $12 tip w barely a thanks.

When I'm not entirely sure that a tip included in a card payment will actually reach or be shared with the deserving person,
i've never had the option with a card in the past 2 weeks. and i've 99% not had to sign the printed credit card slip, both Visa and MasterCard. unless the cashier is adding a higher amount to the bill, i'm not sure it's possible (and they, like you said, wouldn't get that amount anyway)

Back