Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How much time do I need to transfer between airports?

cler

Hello! If my flight from Mendoza, operated by Aerolineas Argentinas, is expected to arrive at AEP at 4:40 PM, do I have sufficient time to catch an international flight departing from EZE at 9:05 PM on a Friday?

Thanks!

I wouldn't risk it. There are significant concerns about potential flight delays or cancellations, and it typically takes about an hour to travel between airports, not to mention the time needed to line up and go through check-in procedures, security, etc.

Do yourself a favor and plan to arrive at AEP the day or evening before your international flight.

@cler ,

It seems like a risky timeframe to me, as BryanM mentioned. Anything could happen, and it's highly likely that both legs of your journey are not on the same ticket. If something goes wrong, you could be left to manage it on your own.

I would recommend aiming to arrive at least 2-3 hours before 4 PM.

Cheers!

Welcome,

Here are some general rules of thumb I follow when traveling. Please note that these are personalized guidelines that work for me:

For international flights, I aim to arrive at the airport approximately 3 or more hours before the scheduled departure time. Sometimes, the ticket may specify the time the flight leaves or when the gates close, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Additionally, I consider local and global events, festivals, construction, or maintenance that may impact travel. It can be helpful to ask your accommodation for advice or share experiences from previous trips. While some airports may be smaller and require less time, it's always best to be prepared.

For domestic flights, I typically arrive at the airport about 2 or more hours before departure, following similar considerations as for international flights.

It's important to continuously monitor your flight status leading up to your departure date, regardless of when it is scheduled to happen. I recommend checking monthly to stay informed and avoid any potential glitches. From personal experience, I've learned not to assume that airlines will contact me in case of changes or issues.

When traveling from EZE to Buenos Aires, I've used the bus, which took approximately 1 hour each way for early morning arrivals.

Best of luck with your travels!

Thank you all for your advice, I think I should not take too many risks, you are right.

Back