Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How to apply for an Argentine passport?

Princesa

Hello everyone! I was born in Argentina and hold a US passport. I'm planning a trip to Buenos Aires in October and would like to know how to get an Argentine passport. I tried searching on Google, but the information is a bit confusing.

Do you have a DNI? If you’re an Argentine citizen and have a DNI, you should be able to get your passport like any other citizen, without any issues.

You can apply for both the DNI and the passport at the nearest consulate to your residence in the U.S. or in Argentina, depending on how long you plan to stay and where you are located. If you choose to do it in Argentina, it’s advisable to make an appointment and bring all your documents. You’ll need to enter with your U.S. passport and then complete the process there. If you decide to handle it in the U.S., make sure to go to the consulate that corresponds to your residency, not just any consulate. It’s a good idea to call or email to inquire. Generally, you will need to fill out some forms and provide certain requirements, and the processing time can take at least a month since it is issued in Argentina.

You can apply for both the DNI and the passport at the nearest consulate to your residence in the U.S. or in Argentina, depending on how long you plan to stay and where you are located. If you choose to do it in Argentina, it’s advisable to make an appointment and bring all your documents. You’ll need to enter with your U.S. passport and then complete the process there. If you decide to handle it in the U.S., make sure to go to the consulate that corresponds to your residency, not just any consulate. It’s a good idea to call or email to inquire. Generally, you will need to fill out some forms and provide certain requirements, and the processing time can take at least a month since it is issued in Argentina.
Thank you so much!

At Jorge Newbery Airport, there’s a RENAPER office that processes passports and DNIs on an expedited basis. Make sure to bring your old DNI or your birth certificate. You can also find other RENAPER offices that provide this service; one is located in the city center and is open on Sundays. Good luck!

Back