Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How to Ship Belongings from the USA to Argentina?

Mariott

Hi everyone! I’ve heard that shipping belongings to Argentina can be very complicated and problematic due to customs regulations (including shipping packages with USPS from the US). Does this mean that most expats arrived with only what they could fit in their checked luggage and left everything else in storage back in their home country?

I bring more things each time I return to the US. However, you can find everything you need to live comfortably here. If I were you, I’d bring things that aren’t available here or that are of poor quality, like sheets. The truth is that I’ve bought most of my stuff here and have found good items at a reasonable price.

It doesn't make sense to ship big items here. The only ones I know that ship all their furniture, etc. are people that might be making a permanent move or expats that have companies paying for their move on long multi-year work assignments.

Not sure if you're talking about that or just bringing stuff on a trip.

I always check luggage and usually pay extra for additional bags. It’s cheaper, safer, and much faster than trying to ship items. I do know someone who shipped a whole household recently. Nowadays, you can expect to spend between $15,000 to $25,000 USD and wait about six months for it to arrive. If you have a multinational employer who will cover and manage everything, it might work, but it still won’t be quick.

Shopping locally is the way to go, anything you can buy in Argentina, especially if it’s made there, will be easier and cheaper. Even with the crazy inflation, many things are still cheaper than in the USA. Some items you’ll need to bring with you in your checked luggage. Anything imported into Argentina is usually twice the price.

Ultimately, it depends on what you consider essential. Brand-name products made in China, like Nike, JBL, and Gucci, are the hardest to find and most expensive in Argentina.

Back